Unlimited access >

LM (La Mundial) Front Zip Boot Questions

Has anyone tried the LM front zip field boots, called “Easy Boot”? I have wide-ish calves and HATE the way the back zip makes them look bulge-y. The front zip might be a better option.

The reviews for LM boots in general seem either gushy happy or super angry- no in between. I appreciate any experiences you want to share.

I got the easy boots for mostly the same reason. First, I am pretty happy with them. They have the most comfortable foot bed I’ve ever worn! I didn’t realize they didn’t have any elastic when I ordered them (not sure there’s an option for that and I missed it??), so breaking them in was… not fun. Instead of blisters on my heels, I had many on the top of my foot! I probably would have taken more generous measurements if I had known that.

That said, now that they’re broken in they are very comfortable and I think they make my larger than average calves look very nice. I’d definitely order another pair, especially for the price.

Yes, $750.00 seems pretty reasonable. Thanks for sharing about the measurements too :slight_smile:

I was advised against the easy boot because–according to the rep that measured me–that’s what they see returned most for alterations. Take that fwiw. May just be that one rep.

I ended up with the new field boot. I have three pairs and love them all. All three–but especially the first pair–did come a little tight. There was a break-in period, but we’re talking maybe 3-5 rides at most, and then they feel perfect. IMO it’s far better for boots to come a little too snug than a little too big.

My other caveat is that if you decide to do the tooling, which is beautiful, don’t do it on the heel snap if your horse has sensitive skin. I did, and I do have regrets because bless my poor guy’s sides, the hair just came right off. LM has offered to take the boots back and replace the heel snaps, but I haven’t gotten around to it. And the horse spends half his life in a belly band anyway.

If you can wait another month or two, LM usually has a 20% off around memorial day or 4th of July. I’m holding out because I still want a pair of brown boots (yes, I know I have a problem…).

Are you thinking of doing something exciting with the design? Or are you going for your standard h/j field boot?

OMG I have no idea. You are totally instigating me LOL!!

Maybe I do need plain AND a design?

They will sometimes cut you a deal and give you a discount if you get two pairs (at least that’s what happened for me awhile back)…

I think it depends on how much you’re at shows vs. at home. This past year I’ve spent a lot of time at home because a) pandemic and b) very green horse. I have a pair I will wear for shows/clinics and then the fun ones I’ll bust out at home. The fun boots are worth it to me because I am not at 2+ shows each month. If I was, I would probably be more on the traditional side of things.

1 Like

Have you considered boots with the zipper inside the calf, like dressage boots? I suppose they would have to be custom but they certainly would eliminate any bulge and perhaps there is less stress on the zippers than there is on back or front zippers.

I have a pair of Dublin (I think) dress boots with the zips inside the calf. I got them because my new left hip didn’t like contorting to get to a back zipper, but one on the inside was easy to get to. It doesn’t interfere, and doesn’t rub my saddle. They do look better at the back. I like them.

My input has nothing to do with the style of LM boot you’re choosing, but with LM satisfaction in general. My trainer got a pair a few years ago when in FL. She loved and raved about them. 2 other riders at my barn got measured and ordered when in FL. One lady got black boots sent to her, even though her order confirmation said Cognac. When she finally got the Cognac pair she wanted, they didn’t fit in the calf at all. She could only zip them up a few inches. She was very unhappy. Never learned of the resolution…

Another boarder got her boots and the calves were too big/loose. She was going to wait and take them back to FL to show the rep, then ended up not going back due to COVID. Based on 2 out of 3 experiences not going well, I didn’t order from them.

Has anyone sent in their own measurements for LM boots, or does it still seem to be a matter of being measured by a really good rep to ensure you get what you want? I’ve seen beautiful boots from them, and also heard the horror stories… They are a good deal when they turn out well, but it is also a lot of money to risk on a potential disaster!

I don’t trust myself to measure TBH. Would much rather it be in the rep’s hand so if something goes wrong, they have the accountability. The other thing that’s nice is once they have your measurements and make your molds, they’ll hang onto them for the future.

The only other thing I’ll throw out there is that there are horror stories out there about all custom tall boots. I can’t think of one brand where I haven’t heard about at least one bad experience. One of the reasons I went with LM Boots was because if I went custom and it flopped, it was at least several hundred dollars less than competitors.

1 Like

Thanks very much! I am a dinosaur still riding in my pull-on Effinghams and Der’s, but like to have info as to what else is out there. :slight_smile: