Unlimited access >

Locking in moisture

I have a saddle that tends to dry out in some areas faster then others. I suspect that it is not holding moisture well because conditioning it returns it to normal. What out there helps with that? I’ve heard of beeswax, but can’t find any blogs, forums posts, or articles that tell me if the beeswax will actually help the leather hold moisture better then anything else.

What product are you currently using?

For my light colored saddles I don’t want to darken, I use Lexol Non-Darkening Conditioner.

For dark colored saddles, Neatsfoot oil will really condition them well if they need a deep condition. Otherwise I use Lexol “regular” conditioner.

I’ve had super luck with the Passier Lederbalsam after cleaning and regular conditioning.

I clean with glycerin saddle soap and condition with neatsfoot.

Most of the “grease” type balms hang around longer than regular liquid conditioners without darkening. Leaderbalsm is great, and I also love the Belvior products, but my husband doesn’t like the smell of either. I use the Belvior cleaning bar and follow up with the balm in the tin. It does make the saddle darker initially but overnight it returns to normal color but stays soft and pliable. Does’t leave a heavy greasy feeling behind, but enough is there that I can see fingerprints.

The best thing I have found for a conditioner/protectant is Aussie Leather Conditioner, it does contain beeswax also. It does not alter the leather color.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiebings-Aussie-Leather-Conditioner-Climates/dp/B001P45RAS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455923106&sr=8-1&keywords=aussie+leather+conditioner

[QUOTE=haybaby15;8537968]
I clean with glycerin saddle soap and condition with neatsfoot.[/QUOTE]

How often are you using saddle soap?

I guess I’ve never honestly used saddle soap ever on my saddles. I just gently (and carefully) use the hose and a toothbrush to get most of the superficial dirt off (toothbrush is needed for the tooling) just with water, and then let it dry in the sun. Then condition it with the products I use, and use them generously.

Maybe your saddle soap is drying out the leather? I know some have that problem.

Neatsfoot Oil can be damaging to your leather with normal use. Try a leather conditioner, instead of an oil.

[QUOTE=mountainhorse;8544970]
Neatsfoot Oil can be damaging to your leather with normal use. [/QUOTE]

Why is that?

[QUOTE=beau159;8545323]
Why is that?[/QUOTE]

I’m wondering too…I use neatsfoot oil on all my tack, actually dunking reins, headstalls and other tack in it and allowing it to bake in the sun. Some of this tack is 15-20 years old and was initially stiff, mildewy etc and this method brought it back to life and it’s soft, supple and beautiful now.

It was explained to me by an amazing leather craftsman that neatsfoot oil breaks down or “loosens up” the internal structure of leather and sometimes reacts strangely to certain leather tanning/processing chemicals. It is great for occasional use (like when you are wanting to restore really stiff and dry tack after long periods of disuse) but for regular conditioning it can cause some issues with premature wear.

Edited to add: You would also never want to use it on calfskin or leather that is already very supple or describes by manufacturers as “pre broken in”