Unlimited access >

Long shot - Carousel Horses?

My trainer has given me a new online job (the last one, selling saddles online, did not go well - she made me post her phone number, then complained about the random calls she was getting But I digress…)

She has wanted an older carousel horse for years. She thought she was getting one this week, but it fell through and now she’s really heartbroken. She wants me to check around online, to see if I can find one for her.

She has a specific theme park from which she would love the horse to come, but would be fine with any kind. She wants one from the Nebraska theme park (I forgot the name… but how many theme parks were there in Nebraska in the 50s? )because her fondest memories of growing up were of her father taking her to ride the carousel. She also requested a “jumper” model, but I doubt she’ll be picky.

Now… my question: Where the heck do I go to find such a thing?! I tried eBay (the answer to all questions) but they only had a few old horses - one that I’m sure she’d love - plus a few new, neon-purple bejewelled guys and an entire carousel for the bargain-basement price of $100,000.

So, other online auction houses? Galleries? Antique stores online? Help? Thanks!

(Oh, and was this On-topic enough?)

Jumpers are the animals (usually horses) on carousels that go up and down as opposed to the figures that were static.

There is a lot of information available on PBS, A&E and Discovery, etc about the old, sought after, carousel makers.

The pride and joy of many older parks, established long before “theme” parks became popular, I know of an antique carousel on Martha’s Vineyard, CapeCod Massachusettes, One in Glen Echo Park, MD just outside of Washington DC.

The ones remaining are treasured by the localities that were able to preserve them. Many Carousels were part of traveling amusement shows which have disappeared over the past several decades.

I have seen some very informatative bits on shows over the past several years, some about particular theme parks (I think one was about the Kennywood park outside of Pittsburg), and others about the value of individual pieces on Antiques Roadshow or At the Auction, etc.

Carousels on the net

What are Bumpkin and Duffy up to What? do you two have a barnful of carousel horses somewhere???

Share! Share!

~Kryswyn~
“Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo”

I was actually too scared of the Bumpkin/Duffy thing to ask…

Thanks for the info - I’ll take some numbers and some ideas to my trainer tomorrow to see what she says. Now, if I can find out who designed the Nebraska horses, I’ll be all set…

You will be “Delighted” to know the person I sent you to will know answers to all your questions.

Share!

It was in the 80’s, I think they had just finished refurbishing it. It was so much fun. Even had the brass ring and all.

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

My trainer has given me a new online job (the last one, selling saddles online, did not go well - she made me post her phone number, then complained about the random calls she was getting But I digress…)

She has wanted an older carousel horse for years. She thought she was getting one this week, but it fell through and now she’s really heartbroken. She wants me to check around online, to see if I can find one for her.

She has a specific theme park from which she would love the horse to come, but would be fine with any kind. She wants one from the Nebraska theme park (I forgot the name… but how many theme parks were there in Nebraska in the 50s? )because her fondest memories of growing up were of her father taking her to ride the carousel. She also requested a “jumper” model, but I doubt she’ll be picky.

Now… my question: Where the heck do I go to find such a thing?! I tried eBay (the answer to all questions) but they only had a few old horses - one that I’m sure she’d love - plus a few new, neon-purple bejewelled guys and an entire carousel for the bargain-basement price of $100,000.

So, other online auction houses? Galleries? Antique stores online? Help? Thanks!

(Oh, and was this On-topic enough?)

My friend has a carousel horse thing that his dad turned into a rocking horse for him when we were real little. Its cute so it’s been designated my chair in his basement… Yes…we have assigned seats; I really must find new friends…

~~Erin B~~
“I’d love to be the one to disappoint you when I don’t fall down.”

I emailed you with some information.

Duffy, here I go again.

If you have not found what you want, try Carousel News & Trader, phone 419-529-4999 or email cnsam@aol.com or www.carousel.net/trader/

Bumpkin, Bumpkin, Bumpkin!! What are we going to do??!!??