Unlimited access >

LONG Show Jackets

Who makes hunt coats/show jackets that run long these days? The only one I’ve been able to find that’s suitable is an RJ Classics 4-button in a 10L - even the 3 button in a long length is too short. And with the European trends, everything seems to run teeny. Help a long-torso lady out!

1 Like

I wore RJ Classic Long for dressage. For fox hunting, I wear a frock. These are readily available. Because I am really tall, I can also get by with a driving coat – @2DogsFarm or @goodhors likely know the proper name for them --I had to remove a button to be proper, but I love the length!

5 Likes

Try out the Winston brand coats. They have a more traditional cut.

3 Likes

I saw a couple of more mature riders wearing relatively long coats at a horse show last week. I wouldn’t be surprised if the coats themselves were older than most of the other riders in the class. Lol.

4 Likes

Winston’s come in tall and are absolutely lovely!

That is a Groom’s Coat. It is a copy of a gentlemans coat from the previous century, 1800s. There are
a specified number of buttons, specified color metal, specific button placements, fabric length. WAYY back, Footmen rode standing on the back of carriages. Button locations below the waist were to deter Grooms “sitting down on the job” with the discomfort of lumpy buttons under you. Length of skirt kept them warm, drier in bad weather. Coats were usually heavy wool with all those good qualities of protection. Wet, it still protected and kept the wearer warm. Grooms and Coachmen copied their employer’s coat styles when the styles changed. So at the end of the 1700s, grooms wore tricorn or bicorn type hats, jockey caps in formal attire like seen on Queen Elizabeth’s carriage hitches. The ornate Gold State Coach turns out with Groom attire still in the late 1700s… Then as softer hats became popular for Gentlemen drivers in the later 1800s, 20th century, Grooms moved up to top hats wearing cast off hats. Top hats are still the correct Driver’s hat with the most formal turnout

Foxglove scored well getting a nice Grooms Coat! They cost a LOT of money to have made, sell used for almost as much as new! Really hot to wear in summer heat, being such heavy wool. Brown top boots probably started with Employer’s cast off hunt boots, handed on to the “help.” Now brown tops are traditional in formal turnout. Another expensive accessory!

The expectations of attire were copied by Americans from the UK aristocracy, upper levels of Society. European attire is often quite different depending on where the driver originates, heritage clothing.

4 Likes

I recently tried one of the AA Motionlite coats, and was surprised at how long it was. Sleeves especially! Not sure if you’re looking for mesh, but it could be one brand to try that bucks the European=super short trend.

1 Like

:grin:
What she (@goodhors) said.
I knew it was for a carriage groom, but not the history .
So… When I move Bugs up to a 4-wheel, you can ride as our Groom :rofl:

1 Like

Seconding this. It’s all I show in, even in SoCal “winter” bc I like the stretch. I’m generally warm enough with my air vest on top and you can add a thin v-neck sweater underneath if it’s cold. I buy said sweaters off Anazon for $20-25.

Some people’s coats are so short that they’re pretty much the same length as their air vest.

Said coat:

1 Like

Agreed! As a long-torso’d 5’9 lady.

No to thread hijack, but what air vest is that? I just got the HP Twist’Air after a fall that separated my AC earlier this quarter. I’ve not ridden in it yet (10 more days!) - and yours looks like a similar fit.

It’s this one but I don’t think they make it any more. In any event, the link in the screenshot no longer works. I’ve had it just about two years now.

I just have to say your horse looks very pleased with itself there. Good for him/her! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Samshield Alix also runs comparatively long. I wouldn’t say it’s a true long cut, but it is longer than some of their other models.

1 Like

He was. Also happy to have mom back after a week of post-rain boot camp. :laughing:

1 Like

The coat was a random find on Ebay --owner had it listed as a hunt coat --clearly it wasn’t --purchased for $100 then had to pay $50 more to have the sleeves let back down (someone had hemmed them up) and have the extra pleat in the shoulders unsewn. It’s there for range of motion, but whoever had the coat, never undid the stitching to free the pleat on both sides. I simply removed or replaced buttons that didn’t suit me (as former MFH I can wear 4). Over all --great coat --!!

2 Likes

Agree on the AA Motionlite. I have one in 3 colors! Slate blue, chocolate, and navy. I want a green too! I love the fit as a tall, not svelte girl with long arms.

I would say to skip the AA Motionlite if you have a very long torso and not just arms. I can manage a regular length 4 button RJ coat (I would go with a tall for a shad since I no longer have breeches that come up to the bra…lol) but the arms then need to be hemmed). I used to wear tall in Grand Prix as well when they were still around. The AA coat has hip room well above my actual hips and so not only does it fit a bit short but is lumpy and weird in the middle. I found one Animo model that fit longer than the others at one point. Unless you can find something made to measure, RJ may be your best bet.

I have a Reins jacket and love love the shape!

I’m 6’ tall with a super long torso. The best I’ve found is RJ. I order a size or two up bc they’ll be longer and then tailor them. I also have two winston coats I sized up and tailored. They are gorgeous. The RJ is maybe a hair longer.

Shires Equestrian seem to have some longer jackets