Unlimited access >

Long-term effects of Box Elder poisoning?

I found this article:

And others like it, but none that I have found offer insight into any long term damage or things to manage against.

The horses in question no longer have access to the trees.

I am specifically in search of information around the long-term effects of Box Elder poisoning.

thank you!!

“If affected animals make it past four days or five days from the onset of clinical signs then
prognosis improves markedly. Although long-term follow-up data is lacking, there appears to be no lasting effects of hypoglycin toxicity; if affected animals survive, they will return to their previous level of health and athletic activity.”

Link

2 Likes

thanks so very much. I don’t know that I posted it here, but Chip got insanely sick last winter, I thought it was EPM. He tested negative and fully recovered. about 2 weeks ago, there was a similar issue of lethargy and a bit of uncoordinated movement, but nothing like last winter- and the culprit must be the box elder he has ignored since age 4 to last winter, aged 20. We have since fenced off that area (it’s a massive tree that is part of the screen between us and the neighbors) and he’s 100% fine again.

1 Like