Unlimited access >

Long Term use of Thyro-L?

Yes, they are! But the ones in the field aren’t the people who design the tests.

There are tests out there with little value at all. Like those for EPM. Now, before anyone goes batshit, please tell me if one, just one, test for EPM that is 100% definitive. There isn’t one. Now everyone can plié on, tell me how this one does that, etc. But 100%?No.

Would you tolerate a test for something in humans that wasn’t 100% definitive, thumbs up or down, for say COVID? Of course not.

I don’t want indications from a test; I can see those. I want absolute proof.

That’s not how how science works, though. “Absolute proof” doesn’t exist, and honest scientists never claim that it does.

And I do understand your point. There are plenty of instances where medicine - veterinary or human - just feels wrong, and a perfectly rational person chooses to do something else. I get that. What I don’t get is your resistance to getting a simple test that would at least give you a rough estimate of what you’re dealing with, and a general baseline from which to begin. It’s not like the functions of pergolide are all that mysterious, so why not?

I’m not a technology fetishist at all, but that just doesn’t add up to me.

6 Likes

Because he’s improving, I don’t own him, and the rescue will not support him in any way. I am happy to pay for anything he needs to support him. As he is improving, and my Vet supports these decisions, this is what will be done.

As far as tests being 100%, things like titers run on percentages. Serious testing says “it’s this”, or it isn’t.

Okay. So you just don’t want to pay for it. That’s fair enough, I guess, all things considered, but pergolide isn’t cheap either, so skipping the test seems like the definitive false economy.

But of course it’s your call, so I’ll leave you to it, and wish you the best. Laminitis is no fun under any circumstances.

7 Likes

Read it again. My Vet supports NOT testing him. As, I assume, you are NOT a Vet, her decision trumps any of yours.

The only time I’ve had to use Thyro-L was a similar experience. The barn I worked at had a mare who’d foundered sometime back and was on a daily dose of Thyro-L. We were supposed to feed it via syringe and it was AWFUL. The powder didn’t dissolve well in non-hot water; it would also settle out of the water if you didn’t keep shaking it. Mare would then try to spit the paste out despite us mixing it with some maple syrup.

We had a lot better luck feeding it to her in a mush of hay pellets with a bit of syrup to mask the taste.

With all due respect then… why ask us if your vet’s opinion (that you don’t seem to entirely trust) trumps anything and you don’t really care to listen to what anyone shares in response to your question?

I’m always puzzled by threads where someone starts off saying they want experiences/opinions but then it turns out that what they really want is everyone to agree with them. What’s the point of that?

4 Likes

I asked about Thyro-L. I was answered with a bunch of opinions about other issues. Everyone is entitled to them.

I love my Vet, but as I shared herein, I trust myself, only, at the end of the day to try and make the best decision I can for my animals.