Look what we did!

Here are a couple of me focusing intently on 1) NO EATING of the greenery as I fail to get ahead of that notion every other minute. 2) Outside rein is the active rein (like riding but without leg so motivation of pony is questionable in my case, see point 1 …) :exploding_head:

I can’t say enough nice things about the folks we are working with, even though a sizeable snow was melting we were able to use a super safe, enclosed area and the mini was SO well trained so Rebecca was able to do some fun figure 8s and he tolerated my novice attempts and took pity on me (and didn’t take advantage of me TOO much to graze rather than walking briskly ahead :laughing::rofl: )

This little guy is part of a 4-up (4 in hand to be fancy) … mind blowing to me, wow!

Can’t wait to try again!

1 Like

Oops, dingbat me didn’t get the photos attached in prior post. Trying again …

8 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:Oh, that little geshnort! :rofl:

So glad you 2 got into some Good Fun!
Now you’ve had the Gateway Drive, you’ll be jonesing to do it again :sunglasses:

Oh, man, you didn’t record my tighter turns! I swear I did better than that once I got a feel for this little guy.

I used to do figure eights with Salt at a canter. That was exhilirating. I had the use of three five acre properties (including mine) and took advantage to go tearing around with him. I kept telling him he could be good at cones, but he didn’t believe me. He was so stocky, he didn’t like to bend. Whereas my Hackney pony reminded me of a pretzel at times. Salt and I used the clothesline in my back yard as an obstacle, among other things. I just had to remember NOT to go underneath it at speed without ducking.

What really made my day was your huge grin the whole time you were driving.

Thanks so much for posting more photos and videos!

Rebecca

4 Likes

I wonder if they would ever let me try that. I’d also be very happy to drive a pair again, which seems more likely to make happen. I think their minis would be a lot less challenging than the Percheron pair I drove. I was terrified when the owner said the Percherons “might be a bit fresh as they haven’t been out yet this year.” But they were great, aside from dislocating my shoulders trying to keep proper contact.

Rebecca

2 Likes

:grin:
FG used to claim he wanted a 6.
Of Belgians :open_mouth:
He has 4 now & has driven 3 as a Unicorn.
Just sold the swing pole he had for a 6 & says he’ll stick to 4 :smirk:
The Unicorn:

My shoer has a pic of himself as a Youngster, driving a 6 of Hackney Ponies, going full tilt boogie :astonished:

I once held the lines to a pair of Shitlands.
Felt like doing that rubbing my tummy & patting my head thing :open_mouth:

I hope you get to drive the 4 :raised_hands:

3 Likes

I always wanted to try a unicorn. So many opportunities to totally screw it up and end up with the horses facing each other!

My husband thought I should try a tandem with my two ponies. They hated each other, so I’m sure they would have crashed us out of spite. I couldn’t even think about driving them as a pair, as they were very different sizes.

There was a guy at driving events at the Colorado Horse Park (formerly High Prairie Farms) who drove a team of bicycles. It was the most bizarre thing I ever saw, and it obviously took a lot of skill to keep from tangling them up. I can’t find a picture of them on their web site, and I wonder if they are still at driving events.

Rebecca

1 Like

I’ll ask FG, but I’d think a Unicorn would be safer than Tandem.
Sure, Leader can go AWOL, but the Wheelers s/b able to maintain some control.
With a Tandem, it looks to me like the horse in front - with those loose traces - is pretty much a Free Agent :grimacing:

I once watched a Tandem (on a Cross Country class course) approach a narrow bridge over water.
Lead hesitated {crowd draws breath}, Wheeler chestbumped him- like saying “Oh, No you Din’t!” & over they went. :racehorse::racehorse::dash:

5 Likes