Unlimited access >

Looking for a cordless heated blanket to warm up horse's back in winter

Title says it all. Looking for something I can throw over my horses back, under a cooler or stable blanket, in winter while I get tacked up. Vet thinks it would be good to warm up her back before riding and recommended heat lamps (which we have), but I’d like this as an alternative (sometimes the heat lamps are busy, and many times I find that there’s still too much air flow to really get all that warm under there). Figured this would be a lot cheaper than some of the fancy red light therapy blankets or a Bemer blanket.

I’ve looked on Amazon but there are a lot of options. Just wondering if anyone has any specific product suggestions or thoughts I hadn’t considered. (Prefer natural or non-fleece fibers as we get a lot of static build-up in winter!)

I use the BoT back warmer pad for this. Not as good as electric most likely but if your tack up area isn’t frigid and especially if you put something on top, it works pretty well. Even better if you can get under a heater or lamps even though those alone without the BoT would not make the back that warm.

1 Like

I use a cooler that’s that’s been warmed up in the dryer.

For battery powered blankets the best I’ve ever used is the Kodiak electric blanket but the price is ridiculous. Maybe one day.

I would look for a heated blanket that charges by usb and then get an external usb battery pack then add a pocket or one thing to the blanket to slip it in so the blanket wouldn’t have dangling cords.

I have an electric heating pad for home use. Once you get it hot, it does retain warmth for some time, enough to do the job you want, especially if you layer it under another thing. It has a cord, so not quite right. But if you have power at the barn you could heat something like this up and then pop it on for 5 minutes.

I also have a pair of battery operated wool socks that I’ve never used. They were about $25. I don’t know if they would cover enough space but maybe?

Also I have to say that when I keep a horse blanketed, they are quite cozy warm underneath.

Not a cordless but as far as regular heating pads go I have a UTK tourmaline far infrared heating pad that is fantastic. I purchased it on Amazon.

I don’t buy into any of the “magic stone” hokey pokey but it does get hot enough to warm deeply and holds heat quite well. Unlike most heating pads it actually has enough umph to soothe away serious pain.I’ve given several as gifts and the feedback has all been the same.

The cord is detachable at the pad but it is on the heavy side and of course not cordless but with the higher heat settings and heat retention properties of the stones it might do what you need. If it doesn’t work for your horse you would probably enjoy using it yourself.