Unlimited access >

Looking for a free lease or pasture retirement for an older horse near NYC

I have some old clients who are looking for a retirement situation for a great horse. He is eighteen and still clocking around 2’6" courses. It is very expensive to keep him in his current situation and they really don’t have time to ride him. They are looking to either retire him to a pasture situation or find a home where someone can ride and take care of him. For the later situation, they will want him returned when he is no longer rideable so they can retire him to pasture.

Since they want to keep an eye on him and be able to visit him once in a while, they would like to find a solution that is within driving distance from NYC.

Any suggestions?

I think you need to specify:

1 - what an “affordable” situation might look like to them in terms of pricing

2 - what “driving distance” means to them

There are places in CT and near/above Millbrook, NY area but they are NOT inexpensive.

Last time I looked there were places in Bucks County, PA that were “less expensive” comparatively but still not “inexpensive”.

Free lease or retirement

[QUOTE=west5;7637797]
I think you need to specify:

1 - what an “affordable” situation might look like to them in terms of price

They are looking for a free lease or a pasture retirement situation.

2 - what “driving distance” means to them

Within about 100 miles since it would only be an occasional check-up on his welfare

There are places in CT and near/above Millbrook, NY area but they are NOT inexpensive.

Last time I looked there were places in Bucks County, PA that were “less expensive” comparatively but still not “inexpensive”.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for asking for the clarifications.

If he is still able to jump very small jumps and is quiet - they might try contacting New Canaan Mounted Troop in New Canaan, CT. The horses are well cared for by the staff and the troopers, also the horse will be in driving distance. They have a “use donation” program you described. They use and take care of the horse and he reverts back to the owner at an agreeded upon time. Win/win

Clarifying, according to the owners he is still jumping around a 2’6" course. This is not a horse that it is necessary to retire for his good but that they don’t have time to ride and is costing them a lot to sit around doing nothing. And of course that isn’t good for him either. He is simple to ride, has smooth gaits, will jump anything in from of him and is a gentleman.

Thank you for the referral to the New Canaan Mounted Troop. I will pass it on.

We are about 3 1/2 hours from NYC in Central PA. Big pastures, great care and have several horses whose owners live out of state. Send PM for more info.