Unlimited access >

Looking for a good course design book.

I am interested in purchasing a book on course design that would discuss design for both schooling and competition. Just wondering if anyone know of any good ones.
Thanks!

I really like the Jump Course Design Manual

Thanks! Thats one I was looking into.

I bought the above book for the local schooling show series I’m managing (and have to design the show courses). While it had good material, there were still questions I asked her on COTH (mostly about timing and MPM/speed for jumpers).

That book had good hunter/eq courses but the jumper courses are more advanced. Much too advanced for my local schooling show courses.

Oh thats good to know. Im mostly looking for jumper courses I suppose but it would be nice for the book to explain timing rather well. Does it include gymnastic exercising and how to set up courses and gymnastics for various abilities?

[QUOTE=Lizzie1394;8140359]
Oh thats good to know. Im mostly looking for jumper courses I suppose but it would be nice for the book to explain timing rather well. Does it include gymnastic exercising and how to set up courses and gymnastics for various abilities?[/QUOTE]

Yes it has a section for gymnastics. It also has a lot of info about striding and types of jumps, etc. I couldn’t find any where in the book about measuring and timing jumper courses so I sought help here on COTH (I needed to know speed for meters per minute appropriate for my level/shows). You can pick about the courses in the book and apply those principles in simpler form to your needs.

Also the best way to learn about course designing is going to be from a pro with lots of experience, and from testing courses yourself. :slight_smile:

Also, try 101 Jumping Exercises (By Linda Allen) for a lot of gymnastic ideas!

I have the course design manual and really like it. I typically use it as an idea book and have built some nice courses with it. I like that it has ideas for small areas as well as big, full on courses, and I’ve used it for both.

If if you want lots of great gymnastics, Jimmy Wofford’s gymnastic book is GREAT.