Unlimited access >

Looking for a good wireless trailer camera. iBall?

I’ve looked through some past threads and most of them are pretty old so I thought I’d see if anyone has recently added a wireless camera to their trailer. I have seen this one mentioned a few times: https://www.iballhitchcam.com/iball-wireless-backup-camera
The Amazon description mentioned that the connection can be lost if traveling at highway speeds. If that’s true it doesn’t seem like it would be very useful.
For reference I have a 2H bumper pull. When the weather is good and the back doors are open I can see what’s going on back there just fine but with the doors closed I can’t see a thing and would like the option to check on him, especially on longer trips.

I have this cheap one and and it has been excellent! It’s really a backup camera but has been exactly what I wanted for the trailer.

1 Like

I have the iBall, as does a friend, and while I have only taken it on the freeway a few times (but my friend multiple times), I don’t remember an issue (and don’t remember her ever mentioning it). The connection can be a little jumpy at times but for the price point it’s great to be able to glance at Dobbin and make sure everything is ok.

Just be aware that its magnetic, and if your trailer is aluminum, you’ll probably have to attach some kind of steel plate for it to stick to.

1 Like

iBall for me. I have had it for around 15 years with zero problems. I’d prefer a larger monitor now that I’m older and vision is worse, but it has worked flawlessly.

And I recently discovered that when the camera’s rechargeable battery finally quits working, all you have to do is remove a few screws and pop in a new rechargeable battery, which is sold on Amazon. And the battery just clips in. There is no cutting, soldering and such required.

3 Likes

https://ranchcams.net/shop/ols/categories/wireless-trailer-camera-systems

I have RanchCams on two trailers. The cameras’ power is hardwired into the trailer, and the monitor is powered by a plug-in to accessory power. I use an iPad cup holder mount to hold the monitor in the truck’s cab. And so I can transfer it between trucks or put it all away when I’m not hauling.

On my two-horse, the built-in antennas on the monitor and cameras are enough to give me a quality clear picture, no interruption, with sound.

On my four-horse, external antennas are mounted midway on the roof. Again, clear quality picture, with sound.

I’m not sure if the sound is two-way, but it would be nice to hit a button and tell a miscreant not to make me come back there!

greys

3 Likes

By the way, although my iBall camera is battery powered and designed to be removed (attaches to trailer with magnetic holder) and recharged inside via a USB cable, I wired a USB port into trailer power, and located it next to the camera.

I did this because the internal camera battery seemed to last about 2 hours, so it would stop transmitting on a longer haul. Keeping it plugged into the trailer keeps it working on those really long trips.

3 Likes

That’s great to know about the iBall! I’m so sick of all this disposable plastic, that’s great to know you can just replace it piecemeal and it’s lasted so long!

1 Like

What not to buy: anything from Tadi Brothers.

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F8Q4NHY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s hard wired into the trailer power, and I hard wired it into my truck. I hang the monitor from my rearview mirror when hauling. My trailer is quite large, and it had no issues transmitting a clear picture from the trailer to the truck.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! It sounds like the iBall is the way to go for my needs. I like the fact you can replace the battery too.

1 Like