Unlimited access >

Looking for a low level dressage horse and prices are insane

Everyone, meet RIO. This is my wife just walking him around getting him comfortable with his new English tack.

32 Likes

What a handsome dude! Post some videos if you get a chance.

3 Likes

Oh my heart! He’s just my type! Hope you have a ball together.

3 Likes

So handsome!

2 Likes

He’s lovely! Congrats!

2 Likes

What a cutie!! Congrats!!

1 Like

Congrats ! What a handsome boy! How big is he? He is either good sized or your wife is a short little peanut like me. They look great together.

1 Like

He is 16 hands. She is 5’2". I am 6" tall. He is a good size for me. I did not want a bigger horse.

2 Likes

So both are true. He’s a good sized QH and your wife is a peanut! I love him. I hope you both enjoy your new horse. What’s his name?

2 Likes

I named him Rio

2 Likes

Perfect ! Welcome home Rio.

1 Like

I highly recommend an Appaloosa. You could consider Western Dressage and classical, and go for All-Breed awards. The price point would be attractive, and if you don’t like spots you can get a solid one. You would get a lot more bang for your buck than a warmblood or even a QH. I have a friend who won an all breed award with her pain - that is another avenue you could consider.

Do you think there’s some TB in there, too with his nice leg and shoulder?

2 Likes

Many QH lines have a lot of TB. Makes them versatile for so many disciplines.

4 Likes

Handsome fellow. Happy were able to find something, especially as cute as this guy.

2 Likes

Yes, the working QH are so much different physically from the halter lines. To the benefit of the athleticism. Same thing with Arabians: Going to the regular Nationals and the newer Sporthorse Nationals, the horses are so different.

2 Likes

Congrats, he is such a cutie!

1 Like

“Rio” is a lovely horse who looks like he is built for sport!

3 Likes

Love that head!! Do I see a noble Roman nose?? <3 squee!!

1 Like

I started shopping for a mid level (confirmed 1st and 2nd, adding 3rd) horse over a year ago. In that time prices doubled. What would have gone for $15K in early 2020 was going $30K by late 2020. Crazy. It almost seemed to track the housing market? And I am talking grade horses, crosses, breeding irrelevant just nice horses “whatever their breeding” types.