Unlimited access >

Looking for a Retirement Facility in Eastern Massachusetts

Sadly I need to retire my 12 year old dressage mare who has had one suspensory problem after another for the past 4 years. I am fairly new to the south shore of Massachusetts and would ideally like to put her somewhere I can see her regularly in the eastern part of the state. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

After looking into this I am beginning to think it would be more cost effective in this past of the country to find a smallish barn with full board and limited amenities that doesn’t mind an absentee owner versus a retirement barn…

Are you on Facebook? There is a group called “ISO stalls in New England/New York/New Jersey” and people are a wealth of information…good luck to you and your girl!

I grew up on the south shore, and while things have changed a lot I would imagine your best bet is someone who keeps a retired horse at home and wants a companion. A friend here in the Midwest moved to the Worcester area recently and actually left her old guy here, instead of moving him, because she didnt have the connections to find an affordable boarding arrangement for a retired guy.

since my mare needs at least 4 months of a controlled environment (stall rest and small med paddock for a little turnout) i am thinking of putting her at a boarding barn that is close to my home that has a stall with an in/out small paddock attached to the stall. she is not ready for a full retirement situation until she has time to heal from this latest injury (avulsion fracture, high suspensory). i’m hoping i will connect with folks locally who can help with a local retirement situation when she’s ready for being turned out.

[QUOTE=Jumper_Princess1988;8175876]
Are you on Facebook? There is a group called “ISO stalls in New England/New York/New Jersey” and people are a wealth of information…good luck to you and your girl![/QUOTE]

yes i’m on Facebook. thanks for this information!

Sounds like a good plan. Just wanted to commiserate on the avulsion fracture/suspensory issue. I had a young horse (still have him, not young any more!) who went through a similar thing. If I knew then what I know now - I wouldn’t have been quite so conservative about his rehab because he has pretty significant adhesions that are more limiting than they should have been. Nobody has a crystal ball… hope your mare recovers well and you find a good setting for her.

I would probably extend my looking area to RI. Living on Cape Cod, I found it pretty easy to get to just about anywhere in RI in only an hour or so. I kept my horse at several barns in the Greenwich area of RI, and while the least expensive was a full board at 550, I was getting full board and an indoor and great great care, trails and turnout for that, so I would think that if you looked you could find something. I would look on equinesite.com - they have a bulletin board which is very active and you can go one with RI peeps and talk to them about such things. Or, MA, or CT or NH, you know. Lots and lots of helpful folks.

Here ya go.

http://discus.equinesite.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.pl

I have family in North Kingstown RI who has a small barn with boarders. She takes care of them like her own. PM me if you’re interested in her contact info!!

[QUOTE=betsyk;8178063]
Sounds like a good plan. Just wanted to commiserate on the avulsion fracture/suspensory issue. I had a young horse (still have him, not young any more!) who went through a similar thing. If I knew then what I know now - I wouldn’t have been quite so conservative about his rehab because he has pretty significant adhesions that are more limiting than they should have been. Nobody has a crystal ball… hope your mare recovers well and you find a good setting for her.[/QUOTE]

thanks for that additional information on the avulsion fracture. could you elaborate on what you mean by the rehab of your horse being too conservative? my vet just told me i should keep her in a small paddock for 4 months. didn’t say anything about hand walking, etc.