Unlimited access >

Looking for advice for first truck and trailer

I got back into the horses after a long hiatus and it’s about that time that I had my own rig. I just need a 2 horse to ship to lessons, shows, trail riding, etc, within 100 miles a few times a month. I’m in a fairly hill, muddy area, and I have a 16.3 warmblood - so not a small horse. I’ll likely usually have a friend’s horse ship with us.

I’ve driven trailers a lot in the past, so am comfortable in that respect. But don’t have experience with buying or maintaining. I will also need to purchase a truck. Neither the truck or trailer need to be fancy or pretty - safe and practial are my priorities.

Looking for advice on what’s practical for my situation? What’s overkill? What are the right things to spend money on? What considerations should I be thinking about that I’m probably not? What do you wish you’d known when you were making your first rig purchase that you know now? What setups do you have/had that you loved?

Thanks so much for any advice!

I’ve found this book to be a must read: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Maintaining-Servicing-Trailer-reference/dp/0876056869

Buying Owning and Maintaining a Horse Trailer --lots of things in there I didn’t know and advice on tow vehicles too.

Foxglove

A good quality trailer in a style you prefer (slant or straight) that is over 7 feet tall. If you haul alone, and your horse is not a self loading/stand still guy, then a slant is handy or train them for a straight. If you are tacking up out of your trailer, a dressing room is very handy for all the stuff you’ll need. A truck that is 4x4 and 3/4 ton in size to handle the hills, mud and weight of your horse. I prefer a long bed for the added wheelbase stability while hauling live animals.

I think it’s a good idea to select the trailer first and then the truck.

For a big guy like that, I would absolutely be looking at getting an extra tall trailer (7’6" interior height). I have an older 2H straight load Sundowner that is an extra tall, which I bought when I had a 17hh TB and was working with a 17.2hh TB as well who didn’t trailer well. My mare now is 16hh and petite, but we regularly trailer all over the place and take friends with us, and every horse loves that trailer. It is a walk-through, so straight load up the back ramp with a side ramp that you can walk them straight out for horses that don’t back well. I don’t use it much because my kids are good, but it’s a really, really nice option. It’s white inside, lots of light, very open and inviting, and I love hauling it. My only complaint is that it doesn’t have a tack room, but I work around it.

Think about whether you want slant vs straight, ramp or step up. If you’re buying used, take the time to pull up mats and look at the floors, and look for rust and leaks along the ceiling and walls. Check the dates on the tires to see how old they are. If you’re buying a GN, mess with the jack to make sure it runs smoothly. Look at how the doors with pressure on them (back doors where the horses are) latch and make sure the latch mechanisms are solid.

Above all, don’t be afraid of buying used or something that needs some work. I got mine for relatively cheap because it needed a lot done - broken window, no divider, lots of little things just bent or broken. It was useable straight out of the gate as a box stall, because the frame and the floors are SOLID. I have spent the last 2 years putting a lot of work into it, and I expect I’ll continue to slowly upgrade and fix little things.

Others have pointed out a good book on trailer maintenance. USRider roadside assistance is a great investment and they also have a lot of good articles on their website, such as this one: http://www.usrider.org/article/finding-trailer-horse-29231

Take your time and look at lots of trailers! I still go drool on the new ones when I go to events, and look at used online, just to think about things I might want to add to mine.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! Super helpful! The slant vs straight decision is an interesting one - I have no experience at all with slant loads - they just weren’t around (at least in the hunter world) when I was growing up. Any opinions on which is better? I will haul by myself from time to time, but he’s pretty good so the loading-by-myself isn’t too intimidating with a straight load trailer.
Thanks again! I ordered the book, what a great recommendation.

[QUOTE=alw-sea;8584810]
Thank you so much for the suggestions! Super helpful! The slant vs straight decision is an interesting one - I have no experience at all with slant loads - they just weren’t around (at least in the hunter world) when I was growing up. Any opinions on which is better? I will haul by myself from time to time, but he’s pretty good so the loading-by-myself isn’t too intimidating with a straight load trailer.
Thanks again! I ordered the book, what a great recommendation.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Be careful what you ask for! Most people have VERY strong opinions on straight vs. slant. And they will tell you that you are downright wrong and stupid to not agree with whatever their opinion happens to be.

That being said - I can tell you that coming originally from the hunter jumper world of Ontario - I thought straight loads were the be-all end-all only safe option why in the hell would you ever buy anything else? BUT! Since moving to Alberta where you get a pretty solid mix of straight and slant - I can tell you I ended up buying a slant load. Why? Not because I think they are better than straights. But because my particular horse did not start out as an easy loader, and he was a hell of a lot happier in the slant load trailers our friends had than the straight load trailer we also tried at one point just to see how he’d take to it.

If you can - I’d see if you can borrow each type of trailer from a friend or acquaintance at the barn just to see if your horse has a preference. If not - then really its up to what FITS your horse height, length and width wise and what you like in terms of loading style.

Consider that if you’re buying a 2-horse slant - they don’t typically come with escape doors at all. Some 3 horse slants will have an escape door at the front stall, but not the second stall. So you would be having to bend/crawl out under the divider each time. Whereas many straight loads do have escape doors so you just walk your horse in - if they are good with standing you can then exit through the escape door, and put up the butt bar (if you’re on your own) or have someone else put up the butt bar for you if you have help.

With straight loads you get the option of manger or no manger. Some people like them. Some don’t. Usually the idea being that if the manger is in the way there’s no space for your horse to put their head down and cough to clear their lungs. Some people argue that slant loads don’t give enough space to do this either but again - it comes down to the size of your horse relative to the specific trailer. If the stalls in the slant load are long enough , and the rope/trailer tie has enough slack, then yes, your horse can get their head down to cough even in a slant. (and yes, my 16.3 big bodied warmblood does fit in my 2 horse slant load trailer (7’6 height).

People will go on and on about the forces acting on each of the horses legs depending on straight load versus slant. And some people say "slant is ok for short trips but never long hauls because the one hind leg takes more pressure on the trip or whatever. Let’s be real - most people on this board probably know people who’ve taken their horses on long distance trips in both straight load and slant load and their horses have come off the trailer just fine, ready to rock and roll. There’s also probably lots of people with horror stories but honestly, if one style trailer was truly that awful - they’d never keep getting manufactured and sold.

In terms of other features to look for (regardless of loading style) - make sure there’s opportunity for good ventilation. Whether that’s windows that can open, slats if its a stock style, or roof vents - make sure your horse can get air flow!

Also - as someone mentioned above - the white interior does help make the trailer space look less like a dank dark cave and more large, open and inviting.

Rubber kick matting is great to protect your trailer and your horses legs. Also on the dividers if there can be some padding that can make things more comfortable for your horse.

I personally prefer all dividers between horse to be air flow or “jail bar” style. 1) it makes the trailer appear like a larger space for your horse and 2) it helps the air flow through the trailer more easily and 3) my horse likes to be able to see his travel companion.

So… have I been non-committal enough for you?
Really, as long as it fits your horse, you feel safe with the loading/unloading process, and the trailer is in good safe working condition, whatever arrangement the stalls are in, you will be just fine.

BTW, I totally agree with whoever said it above, if you don’t already have a tow vehicle then pick your trailer FIRST and then go select the appropriate tow vehicle for the weight/length of your trailer.

Good luck!

Great thread timing. I’m pondering asking the bank if I can do something stupid with their money :yes:

Hope you don’t mind me tagging on here, OP! I figure one thread is better than asking the same question on 2 threads :slight_smile: I’m kind of in the same boat - hauled lots but never owned my own.

My current horse has been hauled loose in a stocker, in straight loads, and once in a slant. An airy, bright straight load is her conveyance of choice. She won’t self load into something that is dark or narrow. She will load fine still and travels perfectly, she just won’t self load. She behaved but not as perfectly as normal in the slant. Picky little so and so is only 16hh for Pete’s sake! Since I will be travelling alone the majority of the time, self-loading reliability is an absolute must so it’s a straight for me.

I’m pondering Merhow straight 2 BP DR. Anyone have an opinion?

Anybody have opinions on trailer brands to stay away from?

How about favourite features?

Are there maintenance concerns for all aluminum that would need to be done at a dealer rather than a local mechanic/trailer place?

Any add-ons that anyone’s done that they wouldn’t be without?

I prefer a gooseneck vs. bumper pull for stability, especially if you are hauling in a hilly area. I also prefer a straight load. I have owned a slant and it worked well when I had a “normal” sized horse, however when I got a 17+H long bodied TB he simply did not fit comfortably and I went back to a straight load.

I am not a fan of mangers. Had a trailer with them “back in the day” and had a horse that would try to climb the walls.

I would definitely get a dressing room. Even for hauling short distances it is so much easier to have a place to store all of your stuff where it won’t get dirty being in the horse section or have to be crammed into the truck with you. Pitch fork, manure bucket, water buckets, first aid supplies, etc are all things I would want with me no matter how far I was going.

Which ever brand you decide to purchase, make sure it has plenty of ventilation.

I have a slant load GN 3 horse trailer with small LQ. My horses aren’t large anymore, but if I had one over 16.1 I’d go straight load. That said, my friend has a straight load with a ramp and I’ve seen lots of horses refuse to get in her trailer, and then hop right into mine when I’ve hitched up in desperation so we could get going. But then, I live in the west, and slants are by far the most common types out here, so that’s what horses are generally used to. My horses are 15.1, 15.2, and 15.3 hh so a slant works great for me.

my general rules are: no slants, no mangers, no step ups. I’ve seen all of the above work, and work well, for other people. But I feel like large horse just get crammed too tight into slants, and I think mangers and step ups are safety issues.

I’d recommend an XT XW 2H bumper pull with a dressing room. You’ll appreciate the DR storage and accessibility of your stuff for when you haul out to lessons, clinics, and one-day shows.

Older is fine, if you want to get used. But the old steel trailers are heavy, so I’d recommend finding a used aluminum skin. Brands like Trailet, Hawk, Equi-spirit, and Sundowner seem to hold their value well. The less expensive brands like Shadow and Exiss seem to have durability problems, and I have friends with both that experienced things breaking or mis-aligning after only a few months of light use.

For a truck, pulling a 2H BP for local trips, you should be fine with a half ton. I have F150s and love them, but everyone has their own preference for brand.

OP-My hauling has been in the mountains and foothills of NC, and my advice based on that would be to not skimp on the truck. Pulling your big guy and a friend up and down will put more demands on your truck than you may realize. When machines are pushed up to their limit as a routine, you can expect more repairs. Try to get as much truck as you can, including brakes, transmission and cooling system for hauling in the hills. I can tell you from experience, it sucks to be stranded with your horse, waiting for the tow truck.

I prefer a GN over a bumper pull, and I love my dressing room. I have had both ramps and step ups, and my horses, given time, learned to use either.

The trailer I have now is a 2 horse slant load, just a partitioned box, no saddle racks in the corner. My 16.3 Dutchman handles it with no trouble.

For a horse of that size, straight load all the way, extra tall.

4x4 for sure for the mud factor. If it’s in your budget, diesel over gas for engine preference for hilly areas, but at the least don’t under-truck yourself, although with a lighter, BP trailer you could get by with a 1/2 ton with all the factory tow equipment and a WD hitch.

[QUOTE=ElementFarm;8589174]
The less expensive brands like Shadow and Exiss seem to have durability problems, and I have friends with both that experienced things breaking or mis-aligning after only a few months of light use.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I have a couple of friends with Exiss trailers. I will not be buying one. My horse loves them (bright! airy! roomy!), but from the butt bar attachments (accident waiting to happen) to the way the escape and tack room doors close (or don’t), I’m not nearly so enthusiastic.

I haven’t seen a big horse fit well into a slant, but as others have pointed out, the dimensions of the trailer matters a lot here – and I’ve only seen 2-3 horse BP slants.

I like 7’6" high 16’ BP stock trailers with 2-8’ box stalls – so, a center gate, and a front escape door. No ramp. No mangers. No tack room. 3/4 ton truck with an 8’ bed, 4x4, with a WDH.

It’s just preference – there are plenty of good rigs, of course. I like how horses load into stock trailers, and hang out comfortably in them. I’ve never had a problem with step-ups, but have had many horses scramble/fall off ramps. I like a big truck with a bed free of hardware. YMMV.

Thanks so much for all the great advice! I think my straight-load tendencies are right, so lucky me for not having to learn a bunch about slant loads :slight_smile: I’ll perhaps add questions to this thread as I look at trailers - hopefully y’all can give me more great advice. thanks a ton!

Has anyone seen this config? It looks like an accident waiting to happen with the walk-thru to the DR - “HI MOM CAN I FOLLOW YOU??? NO? HOW ABOUT JUST ONE LEG???” (though super convenient)

http://www.double-j.com/2015-featherlite-model-9407-alum-straight-load-76-tall-mangers-drop-down-windows-pass-thru-door-2-horse-trailer-price-reduced-500--oHz|4d.html

I agree.

I’ve had an Exiss 2 horse straight load bumper pull with a large dressing room for about 4 years now, and my Silverado 1500 LTZ for about 6 years.

The number one thing I will say is: buy the trailer that fits YOUR needs, not your friends and their horses. Your friends with change, your friend’s horses will step into your trailer and destroy it (and then you won’t be taking your friends with you anymore), and your friends are not paying for your truck or your trailer (no, gas money “plus a little on the side” does not even begin to cover it).

Buy a gooseneck IF all your fellow horse people and friends have goosenecks and its common in your area. If your truck is out of commission and everyone else only has a bumper set up, no one will be able to help you out (that means potential camping after a trail ride and waiting a verrrrrrrrry long time for someone to show up with the right equipment). AAA is not right around the corner. If a friend ever had an emergency and needed to borrow your trailer (in a rare case this has happened to me) a bumper pull could be more useful. Resale on bumper pulls is also easier, FYI.

Always spring for the dressing room, I added an extra foot of room when I ordered my trailer. It acts like spare storage in the off season and is invaluable during show season. Another extra I love is actually extruded siding (those silver extra metal panels you see on trailers). They are attractive and make the tie area tougher and more scratch-resistant. Pad up everything you can in the horse area. NEVER do mangers. Bad for lungs and horses climb them.

Another extra I ordered but find completely useless is the window between the horse area and tack room. Totally pointless and non-functional. I don’t need to look at my horses while I’m standing in the tack room, it’s too hot to hang out in there and daydream for any length of time!

I have 7’6" ceilings with 6’8" or something (the minimum for Exiss) width in the horse area, trailer my brick ****house 16.1hh Paint with 17+hh TBs and WBs and they all fit with plenty of room to spare, never a problem with those dimensions.

Now for the truck. Lots of people here will say you need a SD/HD but I have amazing stopping power, great maneuvering, and plenty of acceleration with my 1500 Chevy. Put in a Tekonsha brake controller (heard not-so-fab things about factory controllers), upgraded to a class IV hitch receiver (so I’d never have to question whether or not I require weight distribution and minimized sway), took some lessons from my CDL brother, and was ready to go. I will always say go for the leather seats…heated leather after a long day riding is magic :yes: and it’s easier to clean! The bed is standard, can fit up to 40 bales without tying down and haven’t lost one yet.

Oh wait, one more thing. I made darn sure to put a giant decal on my rear windshield that says COWGIRL CADILLAC so people know who they’re dealing with. I suggest you do something similar.

[QUOTE=alw-sea;8598653]
Has anyone seen this config? It looks like an accident waiting to happen with the walk-thru to the DR - “HI MOM CAN I FOLLOW YOU??? NO? HOW ABOUT JUST ONE LEG???” (though super convenient)

http://www.double-j.com/2015-featherlite-model-9407-alum-straight-load-76-tall-mangers-drop-down-windows-pass-thru-door-2-horse-trailer-price-reduced-500--oHz|4d.html[/QUOTE]

I have a friend with this trailer. I’ve trailered my horse in it, and we still just self-load and keep the front barrier closed. So it seems more like a waste of space! It seems to not leave as much room for the horses head, but both horses like the white, roomy interior. I have a much older version of this trailer, without the walk-through, and it is amazingly well-built, no rust being aluminum, I love it. The newer ones are not built as well as my 1995 version! I’ll be keeping it for a long time, and was able to get a good price when I bought too.

Good luck in your search!