Unlimited access >

LOOKING FOR BARN: VA,MD

Looking for a barn within an hour and a half from Washington D.C. (horse currently in Warrenton)

My equitation horse is dealing with some lameness issues and is in need of a year off before I re-start him. Unfortunately most retirement situations I have investigated are complete pasture board with zero human interaction. I would like him to be at a barn where he still receives excellent care. (Must have option for a stall at night!)

He is a very special horse so I do not intend on throwing him out in a field to forget about him.

If anyone can recommend some ideas of barns that would be great. I am new to the area.

There are at least three people on COTH in this area who run (or used to run) hands-on retirement barns.

All of them are eventers, so you might try posting on that forum.

1 Like

I’m going there next week to look at barns (for a horse in work). What’s your budget? I can let you know what I find out when I get back!

There is a FB page called Virginia Horse Network, and probably others as well if you want to check them out.

Yep - check here, there are several FB pages too!
http://virginiaequestrian.com/main.cfm?action=classifieds&CatID=7

I would not recommend Traveller’s Rest.

I board at River Chase Farm in Aldie and have been really happy with the care my three boys have received. All three arrived as a rescue and were several hundred lbs under weight. Their weight and coats look great right now, and if there is ever an issue they are quick to pick up on it and let me know. Prices are reasonable for the area. I have one ~20 year old gelding on field board and 2 geldings (~20 and 13 years old) on stall board. All are thriving and happy.

full circle farm in bluemont. check out barnwiz.com

Patricia Ramey in Upperville might have some room. 703-973-1140. We were with her for 9 years. Only left because we bought our own place. If I had to leave the country for a few years, I could leave my horses there and never worry. She’s amazing with the horses.

1 Like

I had a rehab horse with Patricia Ramey in Upperville, and she was great for what we needed. You can also try http://www.alwaystherehorsecare.com/ Not sure if their services are more than what you need, but worth a shot.

Well I would say my barn would be a good fit, but we are currently full. I third Patricia… she took great care of my horses back in the day. ETA, Sudley Run Stables is wonderful too! I don’t know if she has room, but her care is excellent.

Virginia Horse Network is now a secret group on FB, which means you have to be invited by a current member. PM me and I can get you in (I’m an admin on there). :slight_smile:

I didn’t even think of Sudley Run. Natalie is wonderful

Late to the game here, but if you haven’t found a place yet, Havenbrook Farm by Waterford, VA has been outstanding for my friend’s 26yo rehab/retiree horse. She was referred there by vets at Marion DuPont. Though mentioned above, I personally would not recommend RCF for any kind of competition horse.

2 Likes

Ditto this. River Chase is not a place to put a horse that needs any special care. There are plenty of other farms that will provide much, much better care.

1 Like

An old thread, but, I am tentatively thinking of retiring my boy to this place (pasture board but with shelter and human interaction)…. I may weenie out because it’s 500 miles away and I would miss him too much, but, maybe useful for others. Let me know if anyone knows anything about this place from personal experience.

White Rock Manor

https://www.wrmhorseretirement.com/

If WV isnt out of the question (Harpers Ferry) there is a stall available at a small private facility. Its within commuting distance of DC (one other boarder lives/works in DC), it is very reasonably priced for full care stall board with semi-private turnout, hacking/ride out, a ring if you feel like doing some light riding or such, and someone brings all the horses in and out 2x a day for feeding/checks, and they are often in during crappy weather. PM me if you’d like.

Playland Equestrian Center in Union Bridge is where I would put my horse if I needed retirement board. I think it’s 300/month and the care is top notch there.

I wouldn’t put my horse at River Chase especially if you want special care. My farrier started doing a few horses at Belle View Farm in Leesburg, Not sure if they offer stalls or not but they have awesome pasture and very nice outdoor shelters.