Unlimited access >

LOOKING FOR BARN: VA MD

Looking for a barn within an hour and a half from Washington D.C. (horse currently in Warrenton)

My equitation horse is dealing with some lameness issues and is in need of a year off before I re-start him. Unfortunately most retirement situations I have investigated are complete pasture board with zero human interaction. I would like him to be at a layup barn where he still receives good care. (Must be able to come into a stall at night!)

He is a very special horse so I do not intend on throwing him out in a field to forget about him.

If anyone can recommend any ideas of barns that would be great. I am new to the area.

Does he need a Rehab barn or just RandR?

He does not need a rehab. Preferably a boarding situation where they don’t mind him not being ridden in a “program”. I cannot be at the barn everyday so would like to know he is being groomed and looked after when I am not there.

I would be happy to send him to a rehab too. Either or

Try M&M Farm in Aldie. It’s owned by a lovely family, the wife is a vet, and they offer options that include grooming.

Budget? There are a lot of options between throw in a field and training board within that distance of DC.

1 Like

Under 1600 unless it’s a specialized rehab

So sounds like just to any barn without a program? I’ll PM you.

Hunt Valley is an hour from DC and they specialize in rehab/retirement horses. Morven refers a lot of complicated rehabs to them. I believe layup board is around $750. Stall board is around $600. They have exceptional standards for care.

http://virginiaequestrian.com/main.c…view&ID=172366

There are PLENTY places in Middleburg. I suggest you ride out and look at the board in The Tack Box. You should find something of quality .Best of Luck

Call Paige Cade in Middleburg. Great property with plenty of turnout and horse-friendly stalls. Would be happy to groom or whatever else as your horse needs it. I kept my own horse with her (and I live in Boston) for 18 months or so.

1 Like

Try Cammie Eaton at Foxtale Farm in Delaplane. She does a lot of rehab and the horses are all well cared for. She does all the work herself…no pawning it off on grooms or teenagers.

Check out Jennifer Lee Jumpers in The Plains. Field board is as follows, and you can add a stall if needed. The happiest and healthiest environment for horses - big grassy fields, sheds, fly control, fed and checked daily, muzzles, fly masks, sheets etc, salt blocks, clean water troughs and one field even has a spring-fed trough. Owner/manager/pro on-site. Bringing in and holding for vet and farrier. Ointment applied to pasture dings, sunscreen to sensitive noses. Additional services such as grooming and equi-spot available. Located on the beautiful Zulla Road. If you ride (ie perfect for bringing back from lay-up) we have access to miles of gorgeous trails, and there’s a group that trail rides every morning. Large outdoor ring with jumps. $350 pm - add a stall for $300. Call 540-272-1350. Training board also available. See FB page jenniferleejumpers for more info and testimonials.