Unlimited access >

Looking for dressage instructor in CT

Hi! Looking for a dressage instructor in CT (relatively recently moved here) - preferably near litchfield county- for an adult amateur who rode at the training level/first level up until a three year break. Previously trained with a USDF gold medalist. Looking for a positive, supportive environment focusing on a partnership with the horse. Rider does not have her own horse - would need access to a solid citizen schoolmaster to show her the ropes. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

1 Like

Google works well to turn up Dressage instruction. I used it for a colleague and found 2 places in Fairfield area for their daughter this summer.

I’m 100% in support of Google, but it doesn’t necessarily tell you the answer to a “positive, supportive environment focusing on a partnership with the horse.” It also may not give the answer to the schoolmaster question.

This forum has ALWAYS been a place for people to come and post questions like this. Maybe you didn’t mean it that way, but to just tell someone to Google comes across as kind of rude.

7 Likes

Bobbi Carleton at Weatogue Stables in Salisbury, CT

Schoolmasters are a tough find, especially if she isn’t going to lease. I’d try R Folly Farm in Morris or Louisa Marcelle Eadie in Sherman. Outside of Litchfield, try Connecticut Equestrian Center, Carbery Fields, and Vicki Hammers O’Neill.

I no longer live in the area, so am not current is all. When I was there, it was a dressage desert for full dressage/lesson barns.

Ha! I read it as “Works Well to Turn Up Dressage” and thought what a strange name - yet oddly motivational - for someone to name their company. I’m tired…

Patricia Norcia in Clinton. Very kind, has advaced and basics schoolmasters. Very supportive and non-drama environment. Idlenot Farm. Her daughter, Francesca Edwards teaches also, and has trained her own Lusitano and achieved her Gold on him. Also coompetes in Eventing. But riding and learning from Patricia is wonderful. Very kind person, great friend and program.

Clinton is a long way from Litchfield County.

I would HIGHLY recommend Ann Guptill at Fox Ledge Farm in Haddam. I am a H/J rider, but I’ve done clinics with her before and would say that is among the best money I have ever spent on riding. The clinics were YEARS ago now, but I still think about the exercises we did often. She really is amazing.

1 Like

Ann is pretty far from Litchfield county. If you do get down there though, she is a great trainer. Tough on humans, but fair. You will know if she likes you.