Unlimited access >

Looking for equestrian club near central NY

Hello,
I’m moving to the US soon and looking for a place to ride that is not too far a commute (as in less than 2 hours driving or train from central New York City) and most importantly is good to their horses.

I was told that is is common practice for equestrian schools to “medicate” their horses to keep them mellow for their inexperienced riders. That horrified me.

So I’m asking for recommendations please. I don’t want to ride a drugged or abused horse and I am a novice rider so I can’t always tell.

I ride English on flatwork - still mustering the guts to jump - but am open to any kind of riding so long as there’s no abuse of horses.

Many thanks!

I know the owners of Blackhorse Equestrian Center in Bethany, CT which is about just under two hours from NYC (about 90 miles)

You might wish to contact them, they are good people

http://www.blackhorsecenter.com/index.htm

Central New York State or New York City? If CNY the city you will be living in would be helpful as its a pretty big area…and you’d be looking at a car ride as there aren’t any trains that run local, they are for more long distance travels upstate.

There are no trains in central NY…

You’ll need to give us a city, NY state is HUGE and the Central NY area can be a 4 hour drive across.

[QUOTE=Darcy;8870972]
Hello,
I’m moving to the US soon and looking for a place to ride that is not too far a commute (as in less than 2 hours driving or train from central NY) and most importantly is good to their horses.

I was told that is is common practice for equestrian schools to “medicate” their horses to keep them mellow for their inexperienced riders. That horrified me.

So I’m asking for recommendations please. I don’t want to ride a drugged or abused horse and I am a novice rider so I can’t always tell.

I ride English on flatwork - still mustering the guts to jump - but am open to any kind of riding so long as there’s no abuse of horses.

Many thanks![/QUOTE]

drugging isn’t unique to the US, but if you give me a more specific location I might be able to help you. I lived in central/upstate for a few years. NY is huge.

Thank you everyone for replying.

I meant central New York City. I expect to be living in or near Manhattan. Please pardon my ignorance on distances and transport. I’ve never been to the US. Yes I’m sure drugging horses isn’t unique to the US.

I’m looking for a place that is not too out of the way. I can see from looking online that there are lots of stables and riding schools in and around NYC but I need to know the good from the not-so-good.

I’ve been riding for nearly 3 years, stopped for 5 and back again as of 6 months ago. I’d like to do small jumps, go on trail rides, do dressage. I’m happy to do any form of riding. Never been on a western saddle but am happy to try that too.

Thank you everyone!

thank you so much everyone!

Hi
I’m sure drugging isn’t unique to the US. I know it’s common in larger busy businesses. I mean something that’s not too far from central New York City. I expect to be living in or near Manhattan. Pardon my ignorance, I’ve never been to the US.

[QUOTE=butiwantedapony;8871606]
There are no trains in central NY…

You’ll need to give us a city, NY state is HUGE and the Central NY area can be a 4 hour drive across.[/QUOTE]

She said “within two hours driving or train from NYC”, so she is looking for any place in that radius.

Said radius would include Twin Lakes, a great place with lots of lesson horses and a good program that is just north of NYC. They have three facilities and they do jumping and dressage.

The requested radius would also include Westchester county in NY, Fairfield county in CT, Long Island, and upper and central NJ in case anyone else is unclear about “within two hours from NYC”.

The original post (before some editing) said Central NY, not NYC which caused the confusion to those that replied before the edit…since CNY is a huge area and with no local train service.