Unlimited access >

Looking for examples of advanced rehab/conditioning programs

I have an older mare, will be 18 yo this year. We dabble in dressage. She’s fairly fit, but I’m starting to see some muscle mass loss over her back, and her warm up time has gotten longer and longer. I’d like to take this winter/spring and do some proper muscle building and fitness conditioning.

Every book that I’ve pulled from our veterinary library on the subject is aimed more for injury or post surgery - I’m looking for something more advanced, like examples of integrating lunging work with riding, and how to focus on different muscle groups vs stamina, etc.

I’m terrible at being wishy-washy with schedules and routines, so am looking for something that I’ll have to stick to. I’m totally cool making up my own interpretation, but was hoping to find something to base it on! Anyone have something they could point me to, or something that they made up for their horses?

Raised trot poles are great for helping with stifles

Have you looked at Dr Hilary Clayton’s Conditioning Sport Horses book? I haven’t actually read the book but I am a big fan of hers - have heard her speak in person several times and really like her style.

She also has done research on the benefits of doing “carrot stretches” for conditioning the horse’s back muscles. This article: https://www.horsejournals.com/riding-training/conditioning-your-horse-during-downtime pulls from her research on the stretching exercises - the study she conducted was really fascinating and there was a measurable difference in the size of the horses’ back muscles from JUST doing those exercises 3-5 times a day. Great, easy thing to do especially for an older horse losing topline. I use them for my 5yr old who is learning to use her muscles like a real horse (not a racehorse!) and have seen a big difference in her topline.

[QUOTE=Whyevernot55;8457660]
This article: https://www.horsejournals.com/riding-training/conditioning-your-horse-during-downtime pulls from her research on the stretching exercises.[/QUOTE]

Good article. Thank you.

At 18, with muscle loss despite being “fairly fit” I’d consider having her tested for Cushing’s/PPID.

But also what does “dabble in Dressage” mean?

What sort of work is she in? How many days, how long each ride, and what does a typical ride consist of?

[QUOTE=JB;8457939]

But also what does “dabble in Dressage” mean?

What sort of work is she in? How many days, how long each ride, and what does a typical ride consist of?[/QUOTE]

By dabble, I mean I am not competing. I use a lot of dressage principles in my day to day riding, but am not formally training with anyone.

Before the holidays, I’d say she was worked 4-5 times a week, for about 45 minutes at a time. Typical work out was 15 minutes lunging warm up, 20 minute ride w/t/c with focus on a collected trot, and then a ten minute cool down.

[QUOTE=Whyevernot55;8457660]
Have you looked at Dr Hilary Clayton’s Conditioning Sport Horses book? I haven’t actually read the book but I am a big fan of hers - have heard her speak in person several times and really like her style.

She also has done research on the benefits of doing “carrot stretches” for conditioning the horse’s back muscles. This article: https://www.horsejournals.com/riding-training/conditioning-your-horse-during-downtime pulls from her research on the stretching exercises - the study she conducted was really fascinating and there was a measurable difference in the size of the horses’ back muscles from JUST doing those exercises 3-5 times a day. Great, easy thing to do especially for an older horse losing topline. I use them for my 5yr old who is learning to use her muscles like a real horse (not a racehorse!) and have seen a big difference in her topline.[/QUOTE]

I will check into this! Thanks for the recommendation.

Mine will be 18 next year. He had muscle loss over his topline last year, despite regular, correct work (more often and more intense than your mare). This was the only sign of Cushings, but he came back positive on the ACTH test. Might be worth asking the vet for an opinion.

I started him on glucosamine and MSM a couple of years ago and after a month or so I realized his walk warmup time had dropped to 5-6 min from 10-12min. I walk him until he feels loose and comfortable before we trot.