Unlimited access >

Looking for feedback on a TFCC tear in my right wrist

Just had an MRI yesterday after falling 2 weeks ago and it shows an incomplete tear in the TFCC but with marked remodeling. There is some remodeling of the lunotriquetral ligaments without complete disruption. Anyone have experience with this type of injury? I do have an appt with a hand surgeon Friday but am trying to gather info.

Well that bites. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. At least you got an MRI so you know what you are working with.

I highly suggest you have the hand surgeon give you a referral to Occupational Therapy.

I’d be leery of surgery for an incomplete tear before rehab is given a try. I usually see clients with TFCC injuries for a few months before moving to the surgery option. But we are in Canada, so take that for what it’s worth.

Good luck, and ask all the questions to the surgeon, such as “can I ride a huge animal using reins without risking making the tear bigger” and “when you say no lifting, does this include full water buckets?”

In the meantime, a Wrist Widget may offer some support and pain relief.

2 Likes

Thanks for the rider-specific questions and feedback! I am finding that I can ride if I use my pointer and middle finger to hold the rein with my thumb anything that involves my ring finger HURTS.

Hand surgeon appt on Friday. My insurance will only pay for a small amount of PT/OT visits :frowning: I suspect your coverage is much better than mine.

Glad you are getting in soon. Even if you only have a visit or two, the OT will be used to this - so let them know that, and ask for longer term exercises. You can also ask how to ‘grade them’ - make them harder for when they get easier.

For the pain, it’s because the joint is now unstable, if you use a Wrist Widget, it will hold all the bones together, so you won’t have the instability pain. (Also, take my advice as it’s worth, from an internet stranger! - best to always ask your surgeon)

1 Like

I am currently wearing a brace with an ace underneath it. Right now even my fingers have bruising so I am appreciating the support.

Your response has been more helpful than my Googling skills - thank you!

1 Like

Google can be such a pain. Not sure of your comfort with medical stuff, but here are two pdfs - one of my go to book chapter on treatment protocols - basically pick your injury type and initial treatment plan, and then follow the specific protocol. Hand surgeons will tell us what they want us to do.

The other pdf is notes my mentor gave me a few years ago on how she approaches TFCC tears in the clinic.

At the very least, maybe it will spark some relevant questions for you to ask the surgeon :slight_smile:

TFCC Chapter.pdf (1.1 MB)

TFCC.pdf (198.0 KB)

2 Likes

thank you!!!

1 Like

would you be willing to look at the MRI and give me your opinion? I could PM it.

Unfortunately I’m not much for looking at the actual images. I can read and understand the radiologist report, but I’m not sure my opinion would hold much weight - I base my treatment off of the recommendations of the hand surgeons and the person in front of me. Happy to look if you like though.

Its just the report - no images. I would appreciate your thoughts. I want to get my head in the right space for the appt tomorrow. Ask good questions, etc. No one in my realm knows much about hand/wrist stuff.

1 Like

I’d suggest being very careful to wear your brace, 100% of the time, while you learn more about options.

I broke my wrist falling on ice. The first ortho said “eh, simple break, you can just wear a soft brace when you want to protect it”. I saw someone else and opted for a cast. When I came out of the cast, I had quite a bit of soreness from the TFCC though it wasn’t torn. I couldn’t comfortably carry a heavy bucket or ride a racing bike (leaning on my hands/wrists). It did resolve within 3-4 months. The hand therapist commented that the cast had given me a better TFCC result because I’d really kept it immobilized rather than using a part-time brace. Without that rest time, the break would have healed but the TFCC might have been a struggle.

Good luck!

2 Likes

thanks for the feedback! I am only taking off the brace to shower at this point as the aching starts pretty quickly without it.