Unlimited access >

Looking for good boarding situations in Va or MD within an hour from Alexandria Va.

We have recently moved to Alexandria Va and my daughter and I who are both eventers are having a hard time finding eventing barns. It seems that most of the barns are primarily focused on the hunter/jumper world. We would like to be within an hour from Alexandria and would love both trails and a ring at the barn. We would be willing to pay up to approx. $750 per horse. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also looking for both dressage and jumping instruction.

Yvonne Lucas - Red Moon Farm. She is in Berryville and fantastic. Might be further than an hour but worth it. Superb superb care. Ring, trails, great turnout, very reasonable - website is redmoonfarm.com

Check out http://destinationeventing.com/ in Dickerson, MD.
Not sure if it’s within an hour if you - depends on traffic for sure, but Natalie Hollis and Suz Cornue are both great.

Southdown Farm in Great Falls is probably 35 minutes away in non rush hour. A number of the boarders event. It is probably more expensive than your current budget, but you won’t spend as much driving.

Stephanie Rhodes-Bosch is in Waterford

Most of the eventer barns will be out a bit further (past Leesburg or Gaithersburg), so you’ll probably need to choose on whether you want to spend more time driving or more money on board. I live in DC and go out to the Purcellville area to a small, private facility in the middle of eventing country. Welcome to the DC Metro!

I lived in Alexandria for 11 years and boarded nearly the whole time. I found it was much easier to travel to Southern Maryland rather than looking for boarding in Virginia. I also rode in the morning and avoided the evening traffic (though they’re both horrible). Upper Marlboro may be a good place to look. (Waredaca?)

An hour away will be tough, with your budget, as everyone else has said. I’d look in The Plains, Middleburg, and past Leesburg. My barn isn’t specifically an eventing barn (no trainers, but you can bring your own), but I’m about 45 min to an hour from Alexandria, depending on traffic and which way you go. But I know of NO barns close to us that specialize in eventing. I know Kilfinnan Stables in Upperville does eventing, but they may have moved. I have friends who board at an eventing barn in Leesburg, but for the life of me I can’t remember the name. Good luck!

[QUOTE=houndsears;8674591]
I lived in Alexandria for 11 years and boarded nearly the whole time. I found it was much easier to travel to Southern Maryland rather than looking for boarding in Virginia. I also rode in the morning and avoided the evening traffic (though they’re both horrible). Upper Marlboro may be a good place to look. (Waredaca?)[/QUOTE]

You’re on the right track with So.MD probably being closer than a lot of places. But Waredaca is most certainly not in Upper Marlboro or even PG County!!

[QUOTE=tpup;8674231]
Yvonne Lucas - Red Moon Farm. She is in Berryville and fantastic. Might be further than an hour but worth it. Superb superb care. Ring, trails, great turnout, very reasonable - website is redmoonfarm.com[/QUOTE]

I will second Red Moon Farm.

There are also several other places in/near Berryville, but probably more expensive than Red Moon.
Hunt Club Farm
Last Frontier (Sharon White)
?Farm name(Tim Bourke)

There are also some places south of DC. The one that comes to mind is Bayberry Riding Center in Spotsylvania - not sure how far that is from Alexandria.

Bear in mind the only one I have actually boarded at is Red Moon (normally keep my horses at home), and know the others from lessons or competition or reputation.

There is also Windy Meadows in Nokesville- I have never been there, but Jim Moore, an eventer, is the resident trainer. It is under an hour from Old Town Alexandria to Nokesville at 10 PM on Wednesday evenings, but longer during daylight hours.
http://www.bayberryridingcenter.com/

Waredaca and Destination will be far greater than an hour in rush hour traffic. Waredaca would be commutable from Alexandria off-hours (if there is such a thing in the DC area anymore).

Tim Bourke’s is Bourke Eventing at Stone’s Throw Farm.