Unlimited access >

Looking for info on my bay TB/WB gelding, 7-10 years old, recessed left eye

Hi all :slight_smile:

I already posted about this in the Missing Horses section (and on facebook), but I figured I’d try my luck here as well. As the title states, I’m looking to find out more about a horse I adopted earlier this year. Here’s a description:

• Darkish bay gelding, 16.2-16.3ish, no leg markings, small white star
  • Could be anywhere from 7 years old to early teens, but more likely is in the 7-10 age range
  • Fine-boned but put together (and moves) like a dressage-bred warmblood (so maybe TB/WB cross)
  • Does seem to have some dressage training
  • Found at Ontario auction in California on 12/8/2015, underweight and clearly neglected
  • Recessed left eye, likely an injury to his eye socket (no idea how long ago it happened)
  • Scarring on front of right hock (not sure how old)
  • Left shoulder has improved dramatically in the past year but was significantly atrophied at the time he was picked up from auction w/ some clubbing of his left front (possibly related to right hock, possibly a separate injury, possibly just due to his conformation combined with poor or nonexistent hoofcare)

Apart from the (superficial and/or fixable) issues mentioned above, this guy is sound, healthy, sweet, and a freaking phenomenal mover, lol. I am just dying to know who he is, where he came from, and how on earth he ended up where he did, in the state that he did.

Any possibly leads or tips on other places to look for help would be very much appreciated :slight_smile:
Thank you!

Good luck! Hopefully you will find something about your gelding’s history. My mare came from a dealer and I wonder how she ended up with him in the first place. She has a wonderful temperament and personality on top of the fact that she is a nice mover. The only thing she needed was some training and muscle. It still amazes me two years later that someone would let a mare like her go.

OK so do you know who bought him or where he went after auction?

He was picked up from auction by a local rescue organization and I adopted him from them shortly thereafter :slight_smile:

Have you flipped his lip, to check for a tattoo? Both upper and lower?

Clipped his haunch to look for a brand?

Had him scanned for a microchip?

I responded to the OP’s missing horses thread since I used to board near the area where he was purchased at the auction. Alas, I did not recognize him, but I offered to post the photos since I have the right kind of account. There is one from when he was first rescued where he’s pretty thin, but I included it in case someone would recognize him that way, having seen him in person that way.

AdobePhotoshopExpress_adfdef0fa1604cf8bc1fed2bf37b39e2.jpg

WP_20161010_17_21_31_Pro.jpg

Riding.jpg

Front.jpg

What an incredible improvement. Good job, OP.

[QUOTE=Simkie;8915176]
Have you flipped his lip, to check for a tattoo? Both upper and lower?

Clipped his haunch to look for a brand?

Had him scanned for a microchip?[/QUOTE]

No lip tattoo, no brand. I’m not sure my vet has the equipment to scan for a chip but I’ll check :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Peggy;8915525]
I responded to the OP’s missing horses thread since I used to board near the area where he was purchased at the auction. Alas, I did not recognize him, but I offered to post the photos since I have the right kind of account. There is one from when he was first rescued where he’s pretty thin, but I included it in case someone would recognize him that way, having seen him in person that way.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your help!

Anyone? :slight_smile:

Bumpppppp

Still looking. No chip (or at least not one that the vet’s scanner could identify). Anyone?

:confused: