Unlimited access >

Looking for info on saddlebred mare

Well, I can :lol:

This mare’s daddy, Sultan’s American Dream was bred by Ruxer Farms. Ruxers also bred Sultan’s Sultan, a full brother to Supreme Sultan, and the sire of the mare’s second dam. Ruxer’s owned Valley View Supreme, who was not long lived, and raised Supreme Sultan, who replaced his sire. Supreme Sultan sired (if memory serves) nearly 1000 named foals, which for an ASB, is a bunch. They bred their flagship stallion to their own mares sired by Wing Commander, which brought beauty and athleticism to the cross. Beauty- from the refinement of Sultan, and athleticism from the Wing Commander lines. The othr cross that was super successful for them was the Grandviews mare- like Duchess, etc. O(n a set of papers, of I see Sultan, I want to see a powerhouse a mare as the dam of whatever I am looking at on the papers. I just think it comes down to a much better athlete.

Sultan’s American Dream was extensively used by the breeder of this mare to try and raise futurity horses. For a time, there was big money in those futurities, and you need a very fancy colt with alot of stretch and bounce to them. This mare was shown as a young horse, like many others. The problem is that those horses very, very seldom went on to success in the ASB show world as performance horses. So, the good news is that they got alot of handling, and the bad news is that many of them became cast offs.

This mare’s dam is by Chubasco, who was the nine time leading sire of the breed. That sounds impressive, but Chubasco’s owner had the money to breed enough horses and show them to earn those points- primarily in futurities, once again. Chubasco was a handsome pinto horse. I like Chubasco because he is a grandsom of Yorktown- my favorite son of Wing Commander. I have on of the last Chubasco daughters here on the farm. Your mare has one more cross to Wing Commander through his son, Wing Rhythm, on the bottom of her papers. All three of those horses were notable five gaited champions- Wing Commander, Wing Rhythm, and of course, Yorktown.

She is pretty, I am sure, with a lovely eye and shape to her head, and she should be a sound horse, well into her 20’s, absent any bad care that might have befallen her She may well have two front feet that are a bit different from each other- one a bit higher in the heels, but her hind feet, and the over all quality of her feet should be great. Have fun with her!

3 Likes

I have to admit I haven’t gotten anything I’d call snark out of her. She was owned for a few years by a young girl who loved her but was out horsed and couldn’t really afford her. I talked the girl out of the horse for the horse’s sake. It took a year to get her back into shape to even consider riding her. The girl hadn’t ridden her for a couple years. Never did get a straight answer about what she did to scare her so I haven’t attempted to ride because I’m always alone. I’m 61 so I won’t bounce back up if I hit the dirt like I once did. The heat and humidity is going to break next week so I may figure out which of my saddles fits her best and just take her for a walk around the trails out back. Restart her like she’s a baby. She already has access to those trails and I see where she has gone exploring on her own so it shouldn’t bother her much. The only objection I foresee is her loosing sight of old Abby. She takes her job of caring for the blind old mare seriously. Abby on the other hand will just use it as an opportunity to take a good nap.

Her bloodlines…

Even knowing nothing about saddlebreds I’ve heard of a few of those horses. I’ve been having a blast poking through the pedigree and finding pictures of her ancestors and a bit about them. Fun being able to take it back to the beginnings of the breed and well beyond. I was told she is 5 gaited. Looking at some of those horses I believe it. She doesn’t move like my TWH or my STB did but the gears should be in there. I should attempt to get the papers into my name. Just to keep her safer should something happen to me. No breeding. She’s 19 yrs old. Plus I need a baby horse like a hole in the head. I think I even found a picture of one of her babies.

I must have stumbled across Wing Commander and Sultans Supreme in magazines as a horse crazy kid. No other reason I would have heard of them. I did Gymkhana as a teen and haven’t shown since. Saddlebreds are a rare sighting in nowhere New Hampshire. I really don’t need her to be able to do much beyond taking a walk in the woods. I have trails here where I could ride clear to Canada if I chose.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.