Unlimited access >

Looking for low cost or retirement home for my 20 yr old

Crosspost…

Hi all! I have been searching for somewhat of a retirement home for my 20 year old QH gelding (who looks a fabulous 15 might I add!). Currently, I have him and my younger mare at a full care show barn type facility (which is great, by the way!!) but my boy is no longer being worked and I think he is ready to enjoy just being a horse. I often wish my place offered a cheaper option (which they used to, but times have changed) where I could do self care because I love it there so much.

My ideal place for him would be within 1 hour or less driving distance. I live in Glen Burnie, MD but he is at a farm in Crownsville, MD (only about 10 min without traffic). Anywhere between Crownsvlle and Annapolis/Harwood would be awesome. Or even a place between Elkridge/Ellicott City area and Westminster. Field board would be okay as long as there is shelter and shade of some sort. He is actually all white (not cremello or perlino) with all pink skin and blue eyes and currently stays in during summer days, but will opt to keep him covered head to toe with fly sheet/fly mask for his comfort since being in is causing him to be stiff these days. Full care or partial care is also ideal. Looking to spend $250 or less. (I know these places are out there!! They always seem to turn up when I’m not looking! :lol:)

So far, this is the only one that is amazing. http://www.travellersfarm.com/contact.htm
However, they are full, so I had myself added to their wait list. :sigh:

Please let me know if you have any recommendations!! Thank you in advance!!

Sent you a PM

Have you browsed CL?

In my neck of the woods there are tons of feilds for rent, many with owners on site who will keep an eye on things and throw hey (you provide) in winter etc

Yes, I’ve been steady keeping an eye out on Craigslist as well as put a posting up this morning. Still looking! Thanks, though!

Where is your neck of the woods, by the way?

:eek: Traveller’s Rest Farm :eek::mad::dead:

KEEP LOOKING! :eek: I would STRONGLY suggest that you avoid this place! :disgust:

:disgust::disgust::disgust:

Wherever you go, make sure you get references from vet and current and former boarders (and be prepared to offer references of your own).

Why not ask your vet to recommend a place? Or your farrier?

Everyone who’s found me and was a good fit found me through word of mouth. I have a facebook page for the owners (and others) to keep up with their horses and for people to get a sense of what my barn is like. I do get inquiries from it, but none have ever panned out.

What is board at a place with an indoor near you? My theory is that a retirement place is going to cost about half that amount. (yes, you can find cheaper places farther away if you are in an expensive area but that means sending a horse away). With that as a rule of thumb, is $250 in that range?