Looking for my APHA QH Paints that were sold

My horses were sold when I was younger, and I’ve been trying to find out any information on the current owner- if they are still alive. They were 8 and 9 when my family sold them. 1- registered name is KING A DIAMONDS he is a 16.1 or 16.2 H black and white Tobiano paint gelding. I had him in Washington State, I believe he was sold to someone in Oregon. My other was KITTENS JOSE. He is a 16 H Sorrel and white Tovero paint gelding. Same ownership- I had him in Washington State, and was sold to someone in Sunnyside? Oregon. I would greatly appreciate any help!!

I would suggest finding a local horse classified or a Paint breed group in the town or state the horses went to and posting photos if you have them. If they were show quality see if you can find listings for Paint breed shows. What are they registered as? My understanding is that QH lineage with flashy markings puts a horse in the Paint registry. You could try searching the registry database as well. I think that the Paint registry is much smaller than the QH one.

How long ago was this? Horses typically live 25 to 30 years, so if this sale was more than 20 years ago I doubt you’ll find them.

They are registered APHA. It was probably about 25 years ago. I don’t have a membership on the APHA site, but the public access portion let me search names, and both of them are there… I just can’t pull anything else up.

I’m just trying to resolve some things from my younger years… and I recently found out that what I was told, is not where they actually went. The only knowledge I have is that they were sold to 2 different people in Oregon. Just trying to figure out what happened to my beloved friends.

1 Like

Maybe someone with a registered Paint and registry membership can do a search for you. That could give you owners, though sometimes people don’t bother upgrading the ownership on registry papers when they buy horses.

I would suggest finding the Paint Horse club FB group for Oregon and posting photos and details.

I have a Paint :slight_smile: but she came out of an auction and my coach who bought her never got the papers. While Overo and Tobiano each have distinctive typical patterns, no two Paint horses are exactly the same so you can ID from good photos.

2 Likes

There are some members here who have APHA memberships who might be able to look them up for you if they see this discussion and at least let you know if their papers were transferred into another name. There’s no way they would have AQHA papers if they both had tobiano patterns as that is not found in QHs.

Good luck on your search!

2 Likes

I’ll look them up for you. I assume those are their registered names?

Keep in mind there really isn’t that much info available, though, through APHA.

If you’re on Facebook you can also search for the Oregon and Washington state APHA clubs’ pages and post an “in search of” (ISO) query.

Here’s all that came up when I searched APHA:

King a Diamonds is still listed as a black tobiano stallion, foaled in 1985. So the registry was never informed that he was gelded. That could also have been noted when the registration papers were transferred to the new owner. For instance, if the original papers still had him listed as a colt, but he’d since been gelded, there’s a place on the papers to note that when they’re submitted for ownership transfer. At least there has been for many years. There is someone with the initials T.C. (won’t post the actual name) who is the only recorded owner who was also, at one time, a member of APHA for showing purposes. But either he/she never competed at a rated APHA show for points or the horse didn’t win any.

Kittens Jose is recorded as a sorrel tobiano gelding, foaled in 1983. There isn’t anyone recorded as having shown him at APHA shows and he doesn’t have any APHA points.

That’s it. Other than their pedigrees, there really isn’t any other information provided. Wish I could’ve been more help.

14 Likes