Unlimited access >

Looking for new opportunities: how would you do it to limit rumors

As has been discussed on COTH, it’s really hard nowadays to find and finance lesson horses. I am at the stage where I am soon to not have a sustainable model. I am not sure what to do. I am also not sure how much longer we will be boarding - I really like my boarders, but I am struggling after my injury in 2022.

My initial thought is to try to find a lesson barn that is looking for a beginner/intermediate coach. If it works I could move clients over. Possibly boarders. BUT…I don’t want speculation and rumors. People love starting rumors. When I posted looking for a farrier (because one was on maternity leave) people messaged my other farrier to ask if I was firing him.

I have a good reputation in my area, but I don’t know of any barns looking for new coaches. I think most hire from within their program.

2 Likes

You can stop the rumors by being up front about it. “Due to physical limitations following an injury, I am looking to downsize.”

If you aren’t forthcoming, the rumor mill will churn.

18 Likes

I agree that being upfront about plans is the best way to quash rumors, but it sounds like OP doesn’t actually have a plan yet, just an idea, and I think a vague announcement of some unknown future change would be very disruptive to current business.

OP, I don’t have much to offer. The horse world constantly amazes me with the speed by which news and mis/information travels. Do what you need to do - conversations with other barns and trainers, seek and develop clients with horses at home that you travel to teach, look for someone to lease your existing board/barn business? If and when anyone asks, just have some general answers ready - I’m just exploring options, I want to diversify, I want to develop new income streams, etc. I’ve heard my own barn manager say “I’ve got to figure out something to do when I can’t do this any more!”

Do you have a small business association or agriculture extension that might brainstorm business ideas with you (I know, horse biz is unique, but any idea might spark a solution), or can you network with other/former barn managers to see what plans they came up with and get their input? Good luck, it is a hard transition.

Grey

8 Likes

I would tell my existing clients first.

I find that being transparent quashes rumors, because your clients are already “in the know.”

9 Likes

Networking is the best way not just to find new opportunity, but to let opportunity find you.

Transparency also means that you have people correcting misinformation. If questions come up in their hearing while they are out in the world, they can say “CHT told me she is …”. The info they are sharing is clearly the best and most authentic.

Share strategically, not just among your closest associates. You can call the higher profile names in your horse community and have a short conversation “I’m keeping an eye out for … if you hear of anything like that, I will really appreciate it if you keep me in mind”.

Or even “do you mind giving me 10 minutes, I’m looking for ideas about next steps, and thought someone of your experience might have some thoughts to share”.

It doesn’t matter if they aren’t quite sure why they are on your list, or even if they think the reach-out is a bit odd. (Although they maybe favorably impressed and flattered at your regard for their opinion.)

You are building out your network and giving the solution a chance to find you. And you are seeding the correct information to the world.

Sharing information like this usually means you are committed to going forward. You may have to wait for the strategic moment when you are sure of that.

6 Likes

I know more young professionals looking for a facility to operate out of, than facilities looking for beginner-intermediate coaches to come in.

If your business problem is not enough revenue per horse that lives onsite to cover basic expenses…. have you run numbers to calculate where your revenue per head needs to be in order to turn a profit and have a sustainable business?

I don’t know how many boarders and lesson horses you have onsite… or if you have horses in training or a sale horse program. In my areas, it seems like people really need to have some sort of full/partial training requirement for boarders, or a small sale horse program, or a mix of both, to make their business viable.

Maybe you could consider downsizing the lesson program, and revamping the boarder side of your business, and figuring out how to increase revenue per horse boarded by instituting a training/lesson requirement as part of monthly board?

4 Likes

Also in addition to revenue per head, you need to look at your total lesson capacity (per week, per month), and at the individual horses in your program and if all are up to carrying their share of the load and profitability factor.

Lesson programs need to occasionally rotate horses in and out. Programs that don’t, end up with older horses that are not up to as many rides, and not up to as much activity in each ride.

Almost like a professional sports team, as both are based on physical strength as well as talents. Yesterday’s stars don’t last forever, and must make way for new young talent.

Once a horse is not up to a full load, they can be sold (even within the barn) to a rider who may become a boarder / coaching-student with that horse. The reduced workload works for an experienced horse, and the rider gets a known quantity. The lesson herd opens up a spot for a horse that can do more than the one that is leaving. Selling to a student who becomes a boarder/customer is an ideal outcome for the program.

There was an excellent post in another thread just recently, by a veteran lesson program providers, who described how they manage their horse rotation. I can’t think now exactly what thread it is in, but if someone knows what I am talking about, please link the thread. I think there was a lot of good advice for you there.

2 Likes

I think there’s nothing stopping you from reaching out to other local barns to network with their trainers or BMs to see about teaching lessons. There are plenty of trainers who travel during the show season and need people at home to keep the lesson programs going. The down side of that is that you would likely make less $$ for teaching as part of someone else’s program vs what you make independently. As far as moving your current clients with you to another barn…I think that would be harder to do. Most barns make money not from boarding but from lessons and training, so bringing boarders in who wouldn’t produce any lesson $$ probably is not very attractive to many places.

Regarding the rumor mill, I think it’s best to disclose only what you have to. Until you make firm plans to downsize, move, or close your boarding business, all you need to disclose is that you considering branching out and instructing at other facilities. People in other jobs consider new opportunities all the time, so this news should not be all that exciting or interesting.

I think most people are already aware that keeping lesson horses, it’s an extremely difficult business model for trainers to maintain unless they have client or personal horses that are doing double duty for lesson students.

2 Likes

I used to train and do sales, but I can no longer ride. I also have limited ability to show coach (I tire super easily).

@Virginia_Horse_Mom my health and energy levels are really poor. Plus I am already stressed about the upcoming drought and sourcing hay. Adding more boarders just means more chances of a horse colicking or a fence being broken, and with this darn climate change, blanket changes are a necessity not an option anymore. I used to board up to 30 horses…but now 15 is plenty.

It’s not really about the money: I NEED to reduce stress, but I am also trying to find some sort of purpose. I have lost so much of what made me me. Teaching is about the only thing I seem to still do well if that makes sense.

9 Likes

Thank you BeeHoney. I feel you understood what I was asking.

There are quite a few lesson barns around here - it is a very horsey area. I am fine making less if it means less stress.

I was offered a coaching job for the city, but the pay was not worth the drive - maybe in the summer, but not in the winter.