Unlimited access >

Looking for new ways to hide dog’s medicine

My elderly dog requires different medications twice a day. I have always been successful using cheese to hide the pills but she is catching on and now eats around the pills. I have also tried bread, wet dog food and hollowed out hot dogs.
She is doing fairly well with the meds so I want to make sure she eats them. I also don’t want my other pets to eat a discarded pill.

I’m thinking of getting some pill pockets but she figures my new hiding strategies pretty quick. What works for you to get your dog to take their meds? Thanks!

I think the best trick is to use something different on a very regular basis. One day wet food, one day cheese, next day lunch meat, etc.

We have a dog that gets a very small pill daily that we have had good success hiding it in this product.

This dog is very food motivated so he would likely eat his pill hid in anything, but this stuff is cheap enough and the little tub lasts a long time (we only put a tiny bit of coating on the pill).
1 Like

I’ve found Peanut Butter to be the best Go To. I always start by just giving them some on a spoon as a treat a couple of times Before sneaking in the pill.

5 Likes

^This solved the issue forever !

2 Likes

Another vote for peanut butter.

3 Likes

What brands of peanut butter do you use? I want to make sure I get one without xylitol.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

JIF - is what I use … label does not list xylitol.

2 Likes

The Jif peanut butter I have doesn’t appear to have xylitol so I will try that this evening. I am also going to order the pill masker too!

1 Like

Another vote for good ole’ Jif!

1 Like

I was just reading that on mine!
Thanks!

no need to order - peanut butter will work … fold the pill within / surround it with peanut butter on spoon

1 Like

I will try that. The Gabapentin medicine is the one she really objects to, must have a nasty taste to it.

Give her a test run… blob of peanut butter she licks/takes off spoon …
Next spoonful put pill in the middle of the blob …

Jif is readily available at grocery / easier than ordering that product from Chewy IMHO

Best of luck !

1 Like

I just use the supermarket “house brand”.

1 Like

Some people swear by Velveeta. At room temp it has the consistency of Play Doh.

2 Likes

At times when she won’t eat anything I just open her mouth and shove the pill as far back as I can near her throat. I hold her mouth closed and watch for a swallow. Then praise her a ton.

I know it sounds rough but it does work.

3 Likes

I’ve been using a peanut butter and bread combo for my dog who started spitting out tiny benadryl pills that I hid in cheese. So far so good. i take about a one inch square piece of bread, put a pill on it, then glue it down with a blob of peanut butter. I think you’re fine with any brand that does not label itself “sugar free”. Read the ingredients just to be sure. I’m currently using a store brand.

1 Like

I use marshmallows for my older guy who takes 7 pills a day. They can’t spit them out because they’re sticky and my guy seems to like them!

4 Likes

Liverwurst! Works like a charm for my dog who needs to take daily pills. It’s cheap and easy and he never tires of it. He considers it breakfast now.

I had one who loved marshmallows too. They were great pill pockets. I have never had a dog that liked peanut butter.

4 Likes

I am going to try all your suggestions to mix it up so she doesn’t get suspicious!
I almost lost her due to the pain and other old age issues but with her pills she has been pretty good and even broke into a little trot on her walk.

3 Likes