Unlimited access >

Looking for new ways to hide dog’s medicine

For my old dog, I have started just opening his mouth, pushing the two pills to the back of his throat, holding his mouth closed and massaging his throat until he swallows. He gets a treat when it’s all over. That might be hard with 4 pills but my guy tolerates it after spitting his pills out of every thing I hid them in. Good luck with your old girl!

1 Like

Thank you, I think I’m going to ask my vet if I can get her gabapentin in a solid pill form rather than a capsule because it starts to dissolve almost immediately and the powder leaks out. It must be really nasty because it is the only medication that I am still having a problem.
I give her a few plain treats and then the one with the pill and a fe plain. She knows every time which has the nasty pill. She is a sneaky little girl!

2 Likes

They are so clever!

2 Likes

Such a helpful thread for ideas on treats!

I have a super stubborn dog who will just eat around everything I’ve tried. Even popping the pills into the back of his throat doesn’t work because he is SO STUBBORN he just refuses to swallow. Will sit there as I hold his mouth closed and stroke his throat as drool starts spilling out of his mouth because he refuses to swallow. His willpower is quite impressive.

My current trick is I grind the pills and mix them in yummy wet dog food.

2 Likes

My dog has thoroughly enjoyed the experiments! The final verdict is the stinkier the better! She still sometimes finds a way to dislodge the pill but it happens less often.
Thank you everyone!

1 Like

I’ve found cream cheese to work really well with hounds. You can hide quite a few in a small slice pretty easily or break it up into a small ball per pill.

1 Like