Unlimited access >

Looking to breed my med pony (maiden) hoping for a foal to finish a lrg

Hi all, I have a phenomenal moving and jumping 13.1 7/8 pony mare that I was looking to breed.
Ideally I would like to get a large pony out of it.
Here are her stats:
Solid built, Grey, 13.1 7/8 by Mapleside Wishlist (14.2 but it think he’s bigger), who is by Mapleside Mr Magic (14 3/4) who is by Magical (Holesteiner 16.2) and she is out of a 11.3 mare of unknown heritage but is very sec B ish. This mom was bred twice before to a sec A and we got two small smalls. 11.2 and 11.3 which is why I bred to a large and got a med.
So, now I’d like to breed my med mare.
I’m looking at Wellen’s Gold Point (14.2) or Meadowbrook’s Special Edition but I can’t find info on him.
Any other suggestions?
I know crossbred can be a bit of a crap shoot but I’d like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks in advance!

There was a buckskin welsh stallion that I really liked. If I could just remember his name… Madoc heir apparent. I think.

And another one I really love is Dandardel Helios. But he really didn’t match with my mare.

Daventry Equestrian has a really lovely stallion too.

Since your mare is crossbred, you could pick a Connemara stallion too.

Lots of options!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions!
Was the buckskin the one that Cheryl Maye stands? I think his name is Grover? Maybe a GRP?
Yeah, I think he is a large I’ll look at him too!

Grover is very nice too. He has a very lovely dressage floaty trot.

Madoc heir apparent is the welsh I was talking about.

I researched pony stallions heavily before breeding my mare. Finally decided on a Connemara.

Castleberry’s ReFflection is an adorable Welsh and they usually run him in the stallion service auctions so you can get a good deal on him next spring, if you like him.

It is important to note that all of the pony stallions mentioned, including our stallion :wink: , are registered Welsh Cobs. If the OP is looking to produce a pony hunter, I would not consider any of these stallions as they do not conform to the classic “hunter” style. While we absolutely love our boy Goldhills Brandysnap and he has produced a lovely pony hunter that did well at Pony Finals, it is more of an anomaly than the norm. Welsh Cobs tend to be build with quite a thick frame, often have a higher head and neck carriage, and knee action.

If the OP is looking to produce a dressage pony, then I would definitely recommend any of the above boys, but based on the pony stallions the OP already mentioned, it sounds like they are wanting to produce a pony hunter.

Meadowbrook’s Special Edition does throw some size, so would likely be a good cross, but I don’t believe he is available for breeding any more. I could be totally wrong on that if someone wants to correct me.

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for the replies. Yes, I’m looking to produce a hunter pony.
My mare is by Mapleside Wishlist who is by Mapleside Mr Magic so he won’t work.
I’m looking at a young stallion who’s grandsire is Meadowbrooks Special Edition and is 14.2. He looks really nice but he is young and 2022 will be his first yr standing so I want to have a few to look at.
I was considering Wellen’s Gold Point as well.

Oh, good catch! I must have missed that!

Sorry it’s kind of a late reply. Computer issues. Sigh. I stand two Connemara stallions, Wildwych Wily Casanova (Sly) and his son, Blue Rock Fintan. Sly, though 14.3, generally puts more height on his foals. Fintan, 15.1, has sired several larges out of medium mares and what looks to be a medium out of a small mare (half Welsh, half warmblood) but time will tell as that one is still young. He does add some bone, but his foals remain super fancy, lovely movers, with easy and willing temperaments, and a super jump. My page is blackwingponies.com and we are on FB as well. Fintan just returned home from spending two years being an eventer in WV. Prior to that, in his one and only outing as a hunter (and either his first or second show ever), he was Reserve Champion in a lovely class of Baby Greens where he won the hack. He ships very well and we do live cover. If you’ve any questions, please ask!

3 Likes

Oversized pony approved stallions with warmblood lineage like Ridley or Topper Harley might be worth looking at…

1 Like

Is Empire’s Power still standing? He is lovely.

Only frozen from what I understand.

Also, what kind of brains does he pass on?