Unlimited access >

Looking to start at new Hunter Jumper barn in Seattle area

Hello, My name is Noelle and I am looking to start riding again in the Seattle area. I rode for my college for four years and have also coached and trained, as an amateur, Hunter/Jumper on the east coast for the past 10 years. I was last competing in the Adult Eq, Level 1 Jumpers, and Open for IHSA. I’ve also worked with a number of OTTB’s and rehab horses. I recently relocated to the Seattle, WA area and am looking to join the H/J community here. I have been having a hard time getting started and am anxious to get back to it as riding has always been such a huge part of my life.

It has been tough to find the right connections and who to talk to get started on a new coast. On top of that, before relocating I was residing in Boston, MA and while there I had all of my tack and apparel stolen. It was 21 years’ worth of riding equipment taken and valued over $15,000. After this happened, I moved to Seattle to be closer to family. At this point, I am unable to financially replace most of these items. I am concerned about my ability to pick up at the level I was at without the support of the network of trainers I had previously and the right equipment.

I was hoping to find a barn who would be willing to take me under their wing. I’d ideally like to get involved with helping out at the barn, with their lesson program, and the IHSA/IEA team. I am really willing to help any way I can, even if it’s grooming or barn work. I’ve held every position in a competitive facility from barn work to teaching riders competing at the 3’ level. If I could do this in exchange for lessons or hacking that would be great, but not completely necessary. I’m happy to provide references of previous trainers and bosses.

I am also very interested in competing Alumni in the area but will not be prepared to start until I have found somewhere to ride and replaced necessary equipment.

Overall, I feel I’ve hit a wall in my riding career with the relocation and theft and wanted to reach out to leaders in the the industry who may be able to offer guidance to get me back on track. I was hoping to reach out to this forum and see if anyone might be able to offer some advice or know anyone to put me in touch with? I’d greatly appreciate any help you could provide. Please feel free to email me at NoelleEChandler@gmail.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Do a search, lots of good info already posted for Seattle area :yes: :slight_smile:

I think maybe Hillcrest Training in Woodinville hosts one of the local IHSA teams for lessons? But my intel on that is dated by a year or two.

I ride at Phoenix Farm, up in Woodinville/Maltby. Good lesson program, good trainers, low key barn.

If you’re looking for something higher end and super fancy, there’s Archway and Legacy both in Woodinville as well, and Thumbs Up in Sammamish.

Flyingchanges.com has a decent directory of barns if you just want to go down the list or find something close-by/convenient.

I don’t know how far you’re willing to drive, but Hang Time hunters and jumpers is in Stanwood; and is an amazing barn with wonderful people. Lauren Crawford-Breum along with Scott King (Kyle Kings father) are the trainers there. If you would like to check them out, here is their website: www.hangtimetraining.com

Aim high, Crooks Show Jumping (they do hunters and eq too-

http://www.crooksshowjumping.com/

Or Potcreek

http://www.potcreek.com/

Crooks is simply the best. Cara from Potcreek is notoriously difficult to work for but you will get where you want to be.

Both are at August TBird for another week.

How did you manage to have “coached and trained, as an amateur?” I don’t think that’s a thing, unless of course you didn’t really hold a position but we’re helping friends for absolutely no return other than personal satisfaction.

Regardless, I seem to have remembered several threads here about the Seattle area.

Hillcrest and Heidi Kaufmann has helped out some with the UW team in the past – I think they mainly ride at Gold Creek Equestrian Center though. Heidi has some lovely horses though and runs a solid program.

I also really like Alexis Taylor-Silvernale at Aleron LLC – a newer program, but a BEAUTIFUL barn and she is just the kindest woman I’ve ever met. Her horses are very nice and the program is growing by leaps and bounds, so there may be opportunity there for working students, if that’s where you’re aiming.

As another note, I ride alumni O/F and flat in the area – feel free to PM me and I can send you the show schedule when we get it! Just in case you want to come watch if we show up at UW this year.

[QUOTE=TresGauche;8275231]
Aim high, Crooks Show Jumping (they do hunters and eq too-

http://www.crooksshowjumping.com/

Or Potcreek

http://www.potcreek.com/

Crooks is simply the best. Cara from Potcreek is notoriously difficult to work for but you will get where you want to be.

Both are at August TBird for another week.[/QUOTE]

I am at Poctreek. Worked there for many years. If you want to be at the top of the sport, are extremely motivated and hyper organized then send an email to the barn. The address is on the contact page of the website.

[QUOTE=Nehc1015;8271635]
Hello, My name is Noelle and I am looking to start riding again in the Seattle area. I rode for my college for four years and have also coached and trained, as an amateur, Hunter/Jumper on the east coast for the past 10 years. [/QUOTE]

Gosh. Were you getting paid for that?

No payment, Just working to ride.

This is great, I will reach out. Thank you!

[QUOTE=Nehc1015;8278631]
No payment, Just working to ride.[/QUOTE]

Call me crazy but this violates the amateur rule. You can’t work off lessons/rides or everyone over 18 would be a working student.

[QUOTE=LovesHorses;8279148]
Call me crazy but this violates the amateur rule. You can’t work off lessons/rides or everyone over 18 would be a working student.[/QUOTE] That’s my understanding of the rules also - you can be a working student under age 18 but after that if you are working for lessons, board or rides, giving lessons for any compensation (board, training, rides) after age 18, you are a professional unless you are riding family owned horses. It’s a tricky rule and can catch a lot of folks unaware.

[QUOTE=Nehc1015;8278631]
No payment, Just working to ride.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think you can be considered an amateur.

Helga Roberts of Dutch Mill Farms in Arlington is looking for a rider/teacher. Nice lady and about an hour north of Seattle on I5.

OP, do you want to be an amateur or a professional?

It sounds like you already are a professional. If you want to change back, you need to do that with the USEF, and it’s a somewhat complicated process. It also takes a year. You’d also do well to learn those rules, inside and out, if you are hoping to work for anyone and get compensated some how.

Maybe figure out the ammy/pro thing first and your goal, and then decide what role you’d like to pursue in someone’s barn. Will you be a client or employee?

am/pro

I appreciate everyone’s feedback on the status. I would like to find a barn to work for and will happily update my status to professional.