Unlimited access >

Los Angeles Area

Hi, new poster here! Also new to dressage, though not a new rider. I was wondering whether anyone could provide recommendations for a dressage barn/trainer around the Los Angeles area for boarding and training. A few different areas would be fine: around Covina would work well, or around north LA / Santa Clarita / Sunland areas would be fine as well. Alternatively, I would be potentially okay with other areas (like Riverside/Corona/Norco, or south to Orange County, or east to Highland/San Bernardino) if the barn was a perfect fit in every other way besides the commute.

Most important is excellent care, safe and well-run facility, experienced/competent staff managing the horses and keeping an eye out, etc. and daily turnout in a decently sized space. And obviously the usual things, like trustworthy, etc.

Second most important is good training in the basics of dressage (for both horse and rider): clear communication, fair to the horse, and ability to offer pro rides or exercise (or rides by a GOOD working student under pro instruction would be fine with me as well) a couple times a week. Trainer should be willing to work with a human student who is new to dressage, and motivated to improve but has no competition goals (I rode hunters/eq “back in the day” but am at a different place in life now). The horse is an OTTB and is smart and sensitive; a tactful ride is a must.

Thanks very much! I’d appreciate any advice on where to look (or where to avoid)! Feel free to pm if you’re more comfortable.

Sent a PM

Thanks atlatl for the info! I just replied :slight_smile:

Check out Spirit Equestrian in Somis/Moorpark. Beautiful facility, three great dressage trainers, incredible footing. Three dressage courts. Lots of trees. Large 24x24 stalls, well bedded and fed. Gated. Professional staff live on premises. Within a couple miles of two equine hospitals. Good ambiance, not stuffy.

It is a facility that you feel comfortable not checking on your horse every day. I have a ranch horse and am not the best dressage rider despite everyone’s attempts, lol.

3 Likes

Spirit is a very nice facility.

2 Likes

I’m at Wolfe Canyon in Thousand Oaks with Swea Zamel, and I absolutely love it. Multiple arenas with new GGT footing, a full 1/2 mile galloping track, gorgeous barn, pipe corrals, eurocizer, multiple large round pens, multiple huge turnouts, and 260 acres to trail ride. They feed 3x daily and muck 2x daily.

It’s also a 20-min trailer ride to Spirit, SCEC and El Sueno for shows.

PM me if you want Swea’s number.

3 Likes

Take a look at STC Dressage in Moorpark.

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate the info. I’ll take a look at the places you’ve mentioned.

Hello everyone!

Instead of starting a new topic, I thought I would just post in this thread. I’ll be moving to LA and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for dressage trainers. I will be living/working in Westwood and expect that there will be a fair commute wherever I end up riding (especially from the west side…).

I’m fairly new to dressage/in the process of transitioning to dressage after 20 years of doing hunter/jumpers. I spent all last year riding with a classical dressage trainer in Europe, so would love to find someone who has a classical approach in LA (though this isn’t necessary given the logistical challenges of riding in/around the city), Unfortunately, I don’t have a horse right now. While I would love to compete sometime in the future, it isn’t a must at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

You’re going to have a hefty commute from Westwood to most dressage places - they tend to be concentrated around the Moorpark area. But you might want to try Middle Ranch in Sunland. Claudia Roberts at Upper Middle Ranch has a school horse.

1 Like

“Hefty commute” is relative :smile:

I worked near LAX, lived 35 miles east of that and kept my horse 90 miles south in Rancho Santa Fe. I do not recommend that.

I think OP’s bigger problem is going to be finding someone with a school horse. I literally don’t know of any trainer with a school horse.

Maybe check out some of the trainers at LAEC or the Paddock.

Good Luck!

1 Like

Hilda Gurney at KeenRidge has school horses.
I believe Kim Kulesa at SpiritEquestrian might have some for the right level rider, as well.

Both in the Moorpark/Somis area, so I will agree on hefty commute…

3 Likes

Nina Winternheimer teaches at two different locations in the Sunland area. She’s wonderful! She clinics with Olympians and we all benefit. She has an upper level school horse, I believe.

Kristina Harrison at the Paddock is the best trainer there. It doesn’t hurt to ask if she has a school horse or one available to lease.

One of the biggest issues if you work is that hardly anyone teaches at night.

I don’t know if Nina has a horse anymore - she sold Secret. Second the recommendation for Krissy, but she’s gone a lot competing.

And yes, very few places are open in the evenings.

If you’re riding at a lower level, TES at LAEC is a riding school and they have evening lessons.

She does.

1 Like

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone! I’ll be looking into all of your suggestions :blush:

Quick question re: LAEC—does anyone know anything about Tim Keeling?

I’ve gathered that it’s more difficult to find trainers with school horses in the dressage world vs hunter/jumpers, so thank you for the leads there. I may be able to lease or half-lease a horse, but it would require me to do some major budgeting…

Unfortunately, due to my unique intro to dressage, I’m not entirely sure which formal level I’m at. I was working on leg yields/shoulders-in/haunches-in with my trainer in Eur in my last couple months there, but I don’t think I would be able to test them yet (and I’ve only been flating/doing some jumping inconsistently over the last few months). I’ve never done a dressage test, so if/when I start showing it’ll be from the ground up.

I’ll reply to everyone in a second post so this one isn’t too long

Yeah, I was worried about the commute from Westwood (granted, my last two barns were a 45min to 1.5 hr commute away, so I’m not afraid to travel haha). I’ll check out Middle Ranch and Claudia Roberts, thanks!

Oh man…hoping I won’t have to go all the way to Rancho Santa Fe haha. I used to show at Del Mar and the drive between SD and LA can be rough, you are a stronger person than I :sweat_smile: I’ve been looking at some of the LAEC and Paddock trainers, so we’ll see.

I’ll look into Hilda and Kim as well, thanks!

I’ll look into Nine and Kristina, thanks! Re: the night—that’s what I was worried about, as I’m working a regular 9-5. Thanks for the heads-up!

Good to know for timing! I’m new to dressage but an advanced rider in general. Hoping to find a trainer that would get into more technical work than a riding school could provide, but beggars can’t be choosers :sweat:

3 Likes

He bought a young (as in unstarted) horse from a friend a few years ago and appears to have done a lovely job with it.

1 Like

Did you find a place? Would love to know what you have found as I am looking for the same thing.

Do you have your own horse or are you looking for a school horse?