Unlimited access >

Low sugar / starch hay needed for Cushings / IR mini and 1 horse in SE PA (Malvern)

I’m looking for a hay I don’t have to soak to feed mini with metabolic issues and a TB who doesn’t, but is often with her.
This is usually later season hay, cut early in the a.m. Need a farmer willing to hold a load of it for several days while it is tested to be sure ESC + starch is < 10%.
Would like to find several other people seeking such hay, to get together on testing it, as well as a farmer or supplier who could help find it.

Teff hay is low sugar.

Thanks, China, I have never heard of this, not sure it’s available in southeast PA.
Is it palatable?

I haven’t tried it. I was going to get some. I’m currently soaking Timothy and that is working well. I soak it 30-40 min.

[QUOTE=Rondar;8132440]
Thanks, China, I have never heard of this, not sure it’s available in southeast PA.
Is it palatable?[/QUOTE]

Don’t think you will find Teff in our area. I just finished our first cutting of Orchard with some Timothy. Haven’t sent any to be tested yet. Welcome to pick up a bale and have it checked.

Anything that is going to be cut later in the month might have a better chance of being on the “lower scale” of things and suite your needs.

Teff is not readily available in PA as the climate there is not great for growing it.

You would need to truck it in.

http://teffgrass.com/wp-content/themes/tg/downloads/psu-teffhorse.pdf

yes it grows in PA and PSU did a study on it and is recommending it for horses.

Can you help me find a supplier?

I just bought some teff hay last week So far I think it was a good investment.