lower back curvature and sitting trot

i was diagnosed with shurmens(sp?)syndrome.a few yrs ago.basically what it is,is a more inward curvature of the lower back vertebrae. With my riding i find it very hard to sit well with even the smoothest trots, because of it. Forcing my lower back into a pelvic tilt just makes me stiffen up and makes it worse and back problems make doing a tilt a lot more difficult then most riders.I have tried physio therapy,but because back problem has been there for far too long,it didn’t work all that well. My questions are does anyone have this or similar back problems? and what would be a good technique(s) that might make it easier on me and my horse in the sitting trot?

and for all you english(h/j) flat class show ppl.this is what most of the time is keeping me in the lower placings in the showring

p.s rising trot and canter are fine therwise.

BALIMO

Hello I am new to this but I have a possible help to your problem. Have you ever heard of the BALance In MOtion chair. It was designed in Germany by Eckart Meyners for the equestrian world. Eckart is a movement expert. The chair also helps people who have had strokes, MS, and Parkinson’s disease. The chair works in a 3 dimensional way to straighten the spine, help with core muscle, and improve posture. You can find more info on the web at balimochairs.com This is my web site and I currently sit on the chair and have become a complete believer in what the chair can do.

Hi there -

I have similar back issues from scoliosis, and I have a pelvic area full of scar tissue and pelvic nerve damage to boot. :no:

Being a life-long Dressage enthusiast, I had to come to terms with this and my other disabilities if I wanted to keep riding.

My solution may not work for you, but I bought a horse who is a natural for Western Pleasure and has the smoothest little Western Pleasure jog.

I ride my Western Pleasure horse in my Dressage saddle, and call it good. :wink:

Of course, I no longer compete - just one of many things I had to stop due to my disabilities.

My spine is fused from T1 thru L4 which makes me very, very rigid. At first, I was really bummed about how it effected my riding. I tried different horses, different saddles, different stirrup lengths, etc…and finally just accepted the fact that this is the way it is and although I might not be able to ride as “pretty” as I once did, rather than dwell on what I ‘cant’ do, I chose to focus on what I ‘can’ do. Given the extent of my surgery and other health issues, I feel extremely fortunate and blessed to be able to even ride at all. :yes: I still show and although I will never place high in an eq class, I do well in pleasure and driving classes. And I ride Standardbreds, which arent the easiest horses tolook prety on. Bloom where yer planted, I always say! :slight_smile: