lower back hurts when riding

I’ve had some acute lower back pain (particularly concentrated on the right side) for about a year… some weeks it’s completely nonexistent, and other weeks it’s very persistent. On a scale of 1 - 10, it’s about a 3, so I usually ride through it, but once I hop out of the saddle the pain goes away.

I’ve been seeing a sports medicine doctor/chiropractor and treatments with him are fairly helpful. I run and work out pretty regularly and have worked hard to strengthen my core, and I stretch all the time (including foam roller work). Sometimes my back gets stiff and mildly sore at work because I sit in a chair all day, but it’s really only in the saddle where I feel pain. 2-point can be very difficult.

Have any of you experienced this sort of riding pain and know of solutions or what might be going on?

Hard to say…sounds like it’s in the area of your SI joints. Your SI joints might just need to be realigned.

However, I had one sided pain like that for years and years that just kept getting worse. I figured I had a bad back. What I had was a bad hip. I just got it replaced and most of the back pain is gone.

Could it be your saddle? Probably the last question you want to hear!!!

I have severe SI joint problems and sciatica. I can ride in some saddles without increasing my pain level. Some saddles make my left side so bad that my leg completely gives way when I dismount. I don’t just jump to the ground. I have a helper who puts their hands around my hips or waist and eases me to the ground. If I ride in a saddle with too narrow of a twist, I’m the worst.

Hard to say what may be going on w/o more diagnostics, etc. I would possibly say there are some degenerating discs in the lumbar region that like to bulge to the right, which is why therapy and core work has helped.

I second the saddle thought. When I started having back issues, I realized that Wintecs are not my friend :no:. I always hurt after riding in a Wintec, but not other saddles. Something else that helped me was getting jointed stirrups. That really helped how I felt after doing 2 pt or jumping work.