Lower Back Support HELP

Looking for recommendations for lower back support braces or wraps that I can use while riding and being active. I’ve already tried the Futuro Stabilizing Back Support in S/M and the Futuro Deluxe Back support in adjustable, both of which were too big and did nothing for me. I’ve done chiropractic work and massages already to temporary relief and both have said to look into a brace/wrap. Any and all recommendations or options are welcome!!

Do you know the source of your back pain?

Any imaging studies of any kind to help diagnose the source?

The people who make sports medicine boots also make a back wrap. Don’t know much about it, but at least it’s made for riders. Might be worth a shot?

http://profchoice.com/i-7261676-prof…k-support.html

The Back on Track people also have a couple:

​​​​​http://backontrack3.corecommerce.com…Back-Neck-c27/

@Where’sMyWhite My back pain originates from me being a former competitive swimmer. Essentially what happened was some muscles were tweaked in my lower back from overuse and now just need extra support since they fatigue quickly from the injury.

I would definitely look into a good PT instead of a brace. I recently went to a PT clinic for triathletes and the PT said that most triathletes had significant core and pelvic strength imbalance and it was the source of a lot of injuries - back, hip, hamstring and feet.

A brace might help in the short term but I would worry a lot about further injury from supporting weak muscles mechanically. If it’s muscular in nature, it should be easier to fix with strength training than other issues (disc related, etc.)

Probably not what you want to hear…

2 Likes

Check out Bob and Brad- the most famous physical therapists on the internet. I have been very happy with what I have learned from their videos (I have lower back, knee, and shoulder issues). Just do a google search Bob and Brad lower back (or whatever else ails you).

Hi. Long time lurker, first time posting. I second the Professionals Choice back support as a short term, immediate help for riding, barn chores, etc. Comfortable to wear and ride in, helps to avoid the sudden spasms. Long term, definitely PT, neuro/muscular work / massage, and yoga. Retired TN with old back problems, been there, done that!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I’ve decided to go the route of PT since that will pay off more in the long run. Still going to chiro and have a session booked with a massage therapist.

2 Likes

Good for you! Hope the PT can do a gait analysis for you to see the impact of yourself wear back issues on hips and knees.

I second (or third) the PT route.

I spent years struggling with lower back, hip and groin pain stemming from injuries I sustained during my time on Active Duty (and probably my tom boy childhood…) When I finally decided the pain was too much to handle (probably 5 years too late and I was living with a daily pain level of 7-8 on a scale of 1-10, where 10 would have put me in the hospital) I sought out a PT and spent the next year re-learning not only correct posture and how to correctly stretch, work out and fire the correct muscles, but also how to appropriately warm up and warm down. My body was completely contorted and so tight, it wasn’t just lower back, hip and groin problems, the problems were all over. My gait analysis was terrible. Half of my body’s muscles were overdeveloped. Scar tissue and adhesions from trauma and broken bones made me feel like fire ants were attacking my body whenever the PT attempted facial release and trigger point massage. I had a standing 7 am appointment every morning for 6 months.

The icing on the cake for me was when we added in dry - needling. Wow! What a game changer… after feeling like I had been ran over by a Mac Truck after the first session I felt an almost instantaneous relief. The one that made the most difference for me was the QL in my back. Once we started dry needling that bad boy everything else started to fall into place. There was a noticeable difference after the first session and after the 3rd I was completely shocked when I was able to go a week saying I was experiencing a pain level of 1-2… Now not only can I feel when my body tightens (and releases) - which I couldn’t before - I can readjust or re-align my body to the correct posture when I feel my body weaken or tighten. I can feel when my muscles are tired and my body tries to overcompensate, and I know when I need to stop.

1 Like