Unlimited access >

Lower End Saddle for a Draft Cross

I am leasing a Percheron/TB gelding who is AWESOME! The only problem is that today he started tossing his head quite a bit (it’s only my third ride on him…). I thought it might be the saddle because it felt like the panels were moving odd on his back, so I pulled it and hopped back on bareback. Even with my ineptitude of having not ridden bareback in over a year, he went from pissy, ornery tumbler to happy-go-lucky gelding. Verdict: I need a different saddle.

I am really tall (5’10.5" with HUGE femur). He was a fairly flat back with a big shoulder. I don’t want to spend oodles of money since I don’t actually own him.

Anyone have any ideas?

After getting the saddle fitter out, I learned that my Perch/TB cross is actually a medium narrow. Never would have guessed! He goes in a Frank Baines now. Since those are hard to come by, how about a County?

There are a lot of brands, none terribly pricey, of saddles designed for drafts sold in the UK.

I just got a Thorowgood AP high wither as my husband/ friend hacking out saddle (as in, I am in my jump saddle, and my husband or a friend is on the other horse, and we are riding out together). They make a non- high wither version too.
It is incredibly comfy, lightweight, and saddle fitter says fit is good.
Trumbull Mountain carries them.
My guys are wide tree, high wither, big shoulder, flat back - one is Perch/tb and one is a big WB. They fit a county wide skid row for reference.

Trumbull carries many reasonable new and used saddles that are lower priced such as Duett, Thorowgood and Kent and Masters. We are happy to fit long distance, a service we offer at no charge, via tracings, photos and our questionnaire, all available on our site. We fit many Draft crosses but they are all conformationally different so the more info the better to make suggestions on what to take on a trial.

I’d recommend getting a good independent fitter out to make an assessment. Some draft crosses lean more toward the draft side and need hoop trees, while some lean more toward the Tb side and need a standard tree and possibly a modified panel (K, trapezius, skidrow, full front or wither gusset). If you don’t have a local fitter, I’d be happy to see if I can recommend someone in your area - just let me know where you are. If there’s no one in your area, you can work with someone who has a lot of experience and success in working long-distance through the use of templates and photos - Panther Run Saddlery and Equestrian Imports both have fitters who’ve done a lot of long-distance work.

Any recommendations for a saddle fitter in the Chicago area?

Robyn Drake is in the Chicago area (773-865-3240), as are Violetta Strikas (708-363-8099) and Cyndi Parks (231-233-0764). A little further out are Barrington Saddlery and Kate Lamacki (847-381-6015) and Judy Berninger and Michael Dainton at Saddlers Row (847-776-6700).

[QUOTE=Kitt;7016961]
Robyn Drake is in the Chicago area (773-865-3240), as are Violetta Strikas (708-363-8099) and Cyndi Parks (231-233-0764). A little further out are Barrington Saddlery and Kate Lamacki (847-381-6015) and Judy Berninger and Michael Dainton at Saddlers Row (847-776-6700).[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I’m in Crystal Lake, so the Barrington ones would be perfect. :slight_smile:

Before you spend a mint on fitters, try a cheapie Wintec Wide tree. We’ve got 3 Perch x’s here who go great in it! Not the “CAIR” one, the least expensive one that’s basically marketed for riding schools as its under $300. Nice 'n grippy, too!

[QUOTE=2horseygirls;7017001]
Thank you! I’m in Crystal Lake, so the Barrington ones would be perfect. :)[/QUOTE]

Where do you board? I’m from CL. I don’t know much about the horsey scene there anymore, but it’s always fun to find someone from your hometown. :wink:

Michael has now joined Kate at Barrington Saddlery.

[QUOTE=Kitt;7016961]
Robyn Drake is in the Chicago area (773-865-3240), as are Violetta Strikas (708-363-8099) and Cyndi Parks (231-233-0764). A little further out are Barrington Saddlery and Kate Lamacki (847-381-6015) and Judy Berninger and Michael Dainton at Saddlers Row (847-776-6700).[/QUOTE]

I’ll update my list, Brigitte - many thanks for the info!