Unlimited access >

Lower jump options for Thoroughbred classes...

At our local shows there is one TB division with 3’ fences. It would be great if the TB incentive specific shows were close since they have a lot of classes… but, if your horse is newly off the track, or within 1-2 years of it, and just getting accustomed to jumping at all, and really shows in general… it would be nice to have an OTTB class with 2’ jumps, and perhaps a show fee waive available for rescued ex-racers and rescued horses.

– many ottb’s have injuries that they are recovering from, typically hoof related issues from being run “long in the toe”, and takes several years to grow out. Without good balance from their hooves, but wanting to get them comfortable with the show atmosphere and basic routine, lower jumps would be ideal while they work through their rehab and training programs.

Three feet really isn’t that big.

[QUOTE=fourmares;7698439]
Three feet really isn’t that big.[/QUOTE]
For a green OTTB it might be.

I see where you’re coming from, OP. When my TB was green the 3’ was nowhere near an option. He was a tough ride and had the hardest time getting down the lines the first year (the height of the jumps weren’t the problem).

We just took him in the baby green classes and I showed him in the Pre-Children’s to get him some miles. It would be nice to have lower TB classes, but in my area there’s no way they would fill. There are usually plenty of 2’9 and under type classes for green horses, so I don’t really see the need for a separate division solely for green OTTBs. Lots of the horses/riders in the lower divisions are very green, even the non-TBs.

Why not just show in the open 2’ classes? It’s only really been in the last two or three years that there have been OTTB classes at local shows. Before that, most of just entered whatever was appropriate for our horses at the time.

There are plenty of thoroughbred only shows you could attend that have anything from ground pole to x rails to 2’ up to 3’. Perfect for ottbs right off the track but still enough competition in the higher levels for the been there done that packers. Just an option.

HITS Saugerties had both a 2’6 and a 3’ TB section, though I wouldn’t be surprised if they were judged together. I think 3’ is a fine height for the division - it isn’t necessarily for really green horses but to showcase some more established ones. I am doing mine in the baby greens and mods this year for miles and will move up when he’s ready.

three feet is not high. Your horse will jump better over a higher jump. Below three feet, its a canter pole. The lower heights are for the rider, not to benefit the horse. It doesn’t do a horse any good to jump something he can canter over rather than see as a jump.

Personally, if someone needs to have lower jumps for their own benefit, they should show in the other available classes. The TB only classes are for the benefit of the horse, and to demonstrate the horse, so holding them at 3 feet, which shows the horse, is the idea, not to accomodate the rider’s inability to jump 3 feet.

In my opinion.

Who would pay for your show fee if it was waived? The big management companies could absorb/donate it but don’t normally have much below 3’ outside of a few 2’6" divisions. The smaller shows more likely to have the really low classes can’t afford to run classes as freebies or excuse certain horses from paying based on claimed background-who would check on that? The TB rescue/rehome/restart folks are on a shoestring just trying to operate.

Go to small, open shows until he’s ready or you are ready or go to the bigger ones at 2’6", many if which are restricted to kids or Ammies, some even by previous winnings or rider experience.

Like everybody says, 3’ is the lowest height where they actually jump with all 4 feet off the ground if only for a second. If the horse is still recovering from foot issues 1-2 years later, maybe flat classes or staying home until they resolve would be a better choice, especially in the eyes of non TB folk we are trying to convince to try one. Not a strong selling point if it is doing lope overs after a year or more of retraining because it’s not yet sound enough for more.

Where are you located?

In VA/MD we have the Thoroughbred Alliance Show Series. They have classes anywhere from cross rails for the very new OTTBs, to 2’/2’3" greens, up to 3’. They covere show fees for horses available for adoption, that are owned or sponsored by a real rescue, but the rest of us have to pay show fees just like everyone else, and I wouldn’t expect anything else.

In my regular show circuit (VHSA), they offer the TB classes at 2’6". I showed in that division ONE time thinking it would be full of green(er) TBs. WRONG. Those horses were super nice and fancy, so we dropped back down to the Green division. Next year we will show in the TB Division.

I think you just have to find the right show series or circuit. I’m fortunate to live in an area that has something catered towards OTTBs. If you don’t something like that in your area…get with some friends and start one!

The point of the TB classes is the showcase the breed. When you are showcasing something you want your better competitors to be seen. 2’ competitors are still developing, which is important but not a beautiful thing to watch. Training is not always pretty, if I want to show my horse off I won’t invite a crowd to watch my lessons, I wait till we are proficient in our skills and have reached our performance goal (3’ classes for example).

I sometimes find the opposite problem…shows offering a TB division at 2’6" only. I agree with the above posters that the division should showcase the breed and in my opinion 2’6" isn’t going to do that.

If I had a non-TB that needed miles, I would be putting it in a baby green class and/or doing local shows so it could learn the ropes. I wouldn’t expect to win, I’m there for mileage for the horse. Why should it be different for a TB?