Lower Leg Support

Hi,

I’m new to the forums, but was wondering if I could ask around for some advice. I was bucked off during a show in July 2011 and broke my lower left tib/fib pretty badly (looked pretty much shattered). Had to have a metal plate and pins placed to secure the bones. In November 2011, as I was returning to riding and caring for my horse, he spooked and kicked through my right leg, causing an open compound fracture, again the tib/fib. More surgery, this time, a rod and screws.

I am now medically cleared by the surgeon to return to all activity as pain will allow me to. I still walk with a limp at times, can’t run, and posting longer than a few laps is met with resistance by both legs (along with applying the leg aide for leg yields, bending, two-point, etc.). I’m trying to get my gelding back into shape and get us BOTH ready for the upcoming show season. Some days are better than others. Cold days are much worse.

To get to the point … for those with similar injuries - what do you do to support your lower leg(s)? Exercises? Specific braces? I usually ride with an ankle brace on both legs and a knee brace on the right leg. Riding/taking care of my OTTB is what keeps me in good spirits. I just want to make sure I’m doing everything I can to support my legs so I can communicate effectively to my horse.

I know it seems like forever but 3 months is nothing in terms of rehab. It takes TIME. Do what you can without to much pain

I broke mine in the spring of 2005 and spent much of the following summer walking in my pool. When it got to cold I spent a lot of time on my elliptical. It was aout 8 months before i could ride without pain and needing ice after riding

carolprudm - Thanks. I’m trying to do more exercises at home. Insurance kicked me out of physical therapy back in November. I guess it just gets frustrating when the surgeon says I’m cleared and the leg(s) SHOULD be able to take the weight/exercise.

Surgeons and PT’s rarely understand the equestrian ankle and the strength and flexability we need. I still do calf raises and stretches and toe circles and need to hit the eliptical more often than I do. FWIW the eliptical is much easier on the joint than walking or a treadmill.

Not enough information…

nor in relative terms time for enough functional recovery.
There are multiple considerations from discipline to tack to strengthening to consider.

In short based on what is posted…

NO heels down. period. Learn cavalry foot and use that.

Lower extremity strengthening should be hip to foot, done at least 50% of the time one leg at a time and include balancing (and not just standing still on one foot).

Bracing…tough issue because when you mechanically limit the ankle, the hip and knee must make up the difference in terms of Center of Mass control. If you jump, this can have significant implications.

Stirrup, WIDE foot pad. Standard width IMO is now insufficient for your needs.

Regards,
Medical Mike
Equestrian Medical Researcher
www.equicision.com

[QUOTE=medical mike;6145299]

Stirrup, WIDE foot pad. Standard width IMO is now insufficient for your needs.[/QUOTE]

Second this - and endurance stirrups with wide foot pads AND some padding (reduces concussion) might be a good idea, at least for the first few months.

Is it okay to mention brands? Most of the endurance riders I know are staunch fans of two brands: E-Z Ride Stirrups (EasyCare Brand) and Cloud Stirrups (Port Lewis, I think).

also love MDC Intelligent stirrups…but I ride dressage

[QUOTE=carolprudm;6145389]
also love MDC Intelligent stirrups…but I ride dressage[/QUOTE]

As do I, most of the time! And I so agree with you re the MDC Intelligent stirrups - they can make all the difference in the world, especially for dressage!

Still, if someone wants the widest possible platform so that a larger portion of the foot can rest on it, endurance stirrups are amazing.

In the case of someone who simply cannot afford another leg injury, I might also be very tempted to add tapaderos or “cages” to whatever stirrups are eventually selected.

Even for those of us who haven’t sustained horrible injuries, time passes and even though OF COURSE we aren’t becoming any OLDER, things do change - horses become taller, stirrups seem to be higher off the ground than they once were, and oh yes, the gravity has definitely been turned up!

One more suggestion in case of simple soreness of the leg - this one comes from a friend who broke his leg rather badly and wasn’t really comfortable in his saddle for a long time afterwards. He reports that sheepskin girth covers over the stirrup leathers can make a world of difference when a sore leg is constantly coming into contact with those leathers. He said that in terms of increased comfort, it was almost as much of a change as when he added a gel pad to his bicycle seat (and he LOVES his gel pad). So - sheepskin girth covers over the leathers, for what that’s worth. He - or rather, his wife - used a darning needle and heavy waxed thread to keep the girth covers in place; I think she just ran a stitch or two through the holes in the leathers, and it worked quite nicely.

I had a knee replacement and it took me 3 years to get myself back together in the saddle. It shouldn’t take you that long but I had some complications and have nerve damage. Give it some time and take it easy. We bought an elliptical machine and it helps me a lot but I used to also wear a knee brace to ride in but have since stopped that

Thank you all for the suggestions. My discipline of choice is eventing, though I had just purchased my gelding prior to accident #1 and so training was halted. So yes, jumping is part of what I do.

Interesting note about the heels being down. Instructors I’ve worked with still insist on heels down, but I’ve noticed that I really can’t, at least not where I used to be.

I’m just taking it day by day. Not riding when it hurts, just lightly hacking around if it’s been a long day, and taking advantage of the good days.

Thanks for all your advice!