LS Blog - homegrown horses are our best chance for topping the podium

I am one and have worked alongside and for a lot of them, and have met horses started in many different disciplines. The ones started by cowboys just aren’t as good* (in the beginning, certainly equal over time) as the ones started in jumper or dressage barns (that specialize in starting horses).

*Easy to work with, understanding of the aids, and sometimes happy under saddle

Backing a young horse isn’t rocket science. I too worked with many professionals in my youth.

If you (g) don’t have the time to back them yourself, with due diligence, it shouldn’t be difficult to find a qualified person to back a young horse no matter what the discipline.

Training for a sport is a different matter altogether from backing a young horse.

12 Likes

You’re right it’s not rocket science. But that doesn’t mean that everyone that does it is qualified, or that they’ll do it in a way that sets the horse up for success in its future career.

5 Likes

Of course it doesn’t. That’s why finding someone with a proper CV and verifiable references is important if you don’t have the time to start your own horses.

I agree,there are too many people in the U.S. who are not qualified but who claim to be “trainers”. Anyone in this country can hang up a shingle and call themselves a trainer. It’s unfortunate, but true.

15 Likes

Flame suit FIRMLY zipped:

I actually PREFER my English horses be started by a good western colt starter! There are certain skills that dressage and other English trainers just don’t have - and if they do, they got it from the western world. Specifically, I want the no-questions-asked WHOA, basic steering seat/leg cues installed on a no or light contact rein, standing tied patiently forever, and exposure to all kinds of crazy things (cows, rodeo days, goats, loudspeakers, etc).

Can an english trainer install these things? Yes absolutely. But they are not common in dressage and hunter or eventing starters. Even fresh OTTBs have more life-skills than your average import or youngster started by a strictly English program.

Anyway, this is why I ultimately think that it matters more what’s on the starter’s resume vs what discipline they ride. Starting babies is barely about the riding, and far far more about life skills.

The American system of “anyone can be a trainer!” certainly has its drawbacks. Anyone can say they have the skills to do XYZ, but until you see their resume (ETA: really, the actual product they produce), you really don’t know.

30 Likes

exactly! I did most of the work but at my age I was not going to be the first to sit on him. I sent him to a colt starter who was nearby so I would be involved in the process. She did a lot of the stuff that guys like Tristan Tucker do! She did leg yield on the ground then under saddle, a ton of ground work for focus…
They actually sat on him day 2 because I had longlined in bridle and saddle etc. But after 30 days he was much more relaxed and responsive to the aids. Now he is home and I start the dressage training.

8 Likes

Agreed, and thank goodness for the age of the internet where one can find videos to view the trainer in action.
Some really talk a good talk, but when ya see them walk… Yikes.

9 Likes

I agree with so much of this.

If I were to send a horse to someone to be started, I don’t care so much about their discipline. I care about their approach, methods, and finished product. I’m pretty open to whomever does it best or aligns with my training goals. If that’s a western trainer, then sobeit.

I think it can depend on your expectations and needs though. If I were to outsource starting my horse, I’d probably only need the very basics done of stop, start, steer, forward, stand for mounting/dismounting and have a few rides in and out of the arena. Some people may desire more, some less.

The American system does bother me at times. I could call myself a trainer tomorrow if I wanted to. I mean hey, I’ve been around horses for decades and started my own, so why not?

There are many reasons why not :rofl:

I don’t like how unprofessional and unregulated things are, but then again, you have the right to choose. Someone can call themselves a trainer all day long, but you don’t have to believe them :wink: nor do you have to send your horse to them.

So yes, the resume matters.

12 Likes

Yeah, nothing like seeing a “trainer” ride around on a lame horse in a video. Or claim they’ve ridden GP yet only have photos/videos of them at 1st level and no record at any higher level.

Maybe they’re bad at advertising, or maybe they’re full of sh*t.

FWIW, I don’t think that every good trainer needs to ride Grand Prix. Just be honest about your capabilities. Sometimes they speak for themselves though, because as you said there are videos and photos out there on the internet.

11 Likes

So, I have a question about Euro training - we throw around the certification and programs in place in Europe like these are the only instructors and trainers in Europe. But for those from Europe here - is that really true? Or is it that where Americans go to get their horses for import, but here are many, many backwoods setups the like we have here in the states?

Not for nothing, but for all of the “use a young horse trainer from your discipline for the best results” - one of our short list riders has used a colt starter for many of their babies.

3 Likes

I would be more surprised to hear of someone starting their own babies than not, regardless of the country or continent at this level of competition.

4 Likes

Absolutely. A cutting horse friend starts big WB colts for a BNT several hundred miles away. BNT is from Europe and is well-acquainted with the European system. He prefers western-started horses. And they sell for big money.

Nothing makes me cringe more than to see an OTTB restarted in a dressage barn. Yeah, just slap a dressage saddle on them, which is designed to have all your weight in one place, and ruin that trot and forward.

7 Likes

That’s going to be country dependent, IME.

I know we often just say “Europe” but that’s very general speaking.

1 Like

Hey now! I am a dressage trainer and made my professional career on OTTBs. I certainly know how to restart one off the track and I have taken quite a number of them to the upper levels. I have never “ruin(ed) that trot and forward.” What a bizarre thing to say. Forward is job #1 when you are starting a dressage horse. I’m sorry your experience is limited to people who train incorrectly.

22 Likes

That it is. Unfortunately I’ve seen it too much, all with young ignorant/arrogant know it alls. It’s a le sigh.

3 Likes

I own one that was absolutely ruined because they installed “stop no matter what when we touch your mouth.” 3 years on and we’re still trying to get the horse to accept contact enough to collect without stopping. Of course your horse your preference, but just one example of why that can be a bad thing.

Oh, and my 3 yo ground ties. :blush: It’s about installing the skills you want, and those don’t only come from a cowboy.

2 Likes

Your post made me snicker. I don’t whether to post this :thinking: or this :grin: or this :roll_eyes: or this :scream:

10 Likes

Regarding starting OTTBs in dressage - aren’t the racers taught that more/firmer contact with their mouth means “go faster”? So they learn to really grab the bit/lean into the contact and that can sometimes cause issues with dressage training when they seek a firm contact or respond to it by getting more on the forehand and “pulling”?

Well I can only talk about Germany and there are knowledgeable young horse starters for sure but I don’t know of a certification for a young horse starter. The ones I know don’t have any certification. If you finish the education for Trainer C or for Pferdewirt /Reiten I don’t think there is a requirement for starting young horses… I do know several people who start young horses but in some areas it might be tough to find somebody.
And for sure there are a lot of people who think they can do it and where it goes wrong….

2 Likes

Well it’s a good thing you (g) can visit people’s farms and see them and their program in person instead of making snap judgements based on your poor reading comprehension and on a few things you see on the internet.

1 Like