LS Blog - homegrown horses are our best chance for topping the podium

I would be way more likely to financially support some type of educational system in the US that can adequately train and prepare individuals to become horse trainers of various types and specialties. Some have mentioned colt staring and developing the young horse - I think that is a very relevant conversation. We have few qualified individuals who can start and bring young horses along, few who have the adequate facilities to do so, few who are willing to work with these large, sensitive and intelligent WBs, and even fewer with the facilities to develop stallions as a way to support US breeding. Breeders put so much money into foals and young horses, there is so much risk in developing these horses to the age of riding. It’s a huge ask of breeders to do. I’m not even sure many realize just how much stress and frustration and outright pain there is when breeding horses, but that’s another conversation.

Also, the idea that if you adequately train a young horse (such as preparing them for saddle), that you can some how remove all risks (such as the unexpected buck when breaking) is unrealistic/unfair for the people (and horses) tasked with these jobs. There is always risk, despite great training and preparation. There will always be unforeseen circumstances working with horses - that risk only multiples when working with the young ones. Hopefully the desensitization and training you do prepares them for the unexpected, but at no point should we think that training/preparation mitigates all potential for shit to hit the fan. We should value our young horse trainers because of the inherent risks associated, despite how competent the trainer is and not set unrealistic expectations IMO. I do believe how we treat professionals in this industry matters and is part of the bigger pictures.

20 Likes

As an aside, I saw this on Robert Dover’s FB page. I don’t follow him, but it made it onto my feed.

Interesting concept and actually things are a bit more “open” in some other countries. I rode at 2 barns in Germany where people could watch us ride and/or watch us ride from the hiking path that ran through the property. It wasn’t totally uncommon for a hiker to watch for a bit, or for someone to sit on a bench outside of the outdoor arena at the state stud.

Auditing fees were also far more rare. If a clinic with a big name trainer happened at the barn, members of the barn or those that we knew from other barns could watch for free. It was also a “social” thing.

I had many a “stranger” watch me and/or my trainers ride. Things were pretty open. That doesn’t go for all barns there though.

17 Likes

I think Robert’s transparency is great. I’d love to watch training via live stream since most aren’t local to him.

10 Likes

Live stream training would be so cool to see!

2 Likes

This is done deliberately to make money for the insider breeders and agents. Exactly the same thing in the US hunters. They decide what wins, and they decide the price it costs to win. They change it at their whim.

4 Likes

Maybe so, but do they intend to create that with bungees and weighted bell boots and tie downs, etc.? Once you see video of what is done to the horses, you wouldn’t ever consider buying one of them unless you want to rescue one

2 Likes

I also would love to see live streaming!!! What would be fantastic is if he rode a horse he was training and explained what he was doing and why.

4 Likes