Lumbar spinal fusion?

Best wishes on your recovery! I had a compression fracture of L5, resulting in a fusion from L4-S1. I had scoliosis prior to my injury, which they also resolved while they were in there. Given that mine was injury related, I’m sure the experience was different, but for a while afterwards I had issues straining ligaments in my back as I learned my new mobility limitations. I was 15 when I had my surgery, and am 31 now. Mostly I don’t think about it, and have no pain around the surgery site. I do know my back aches when it gets cold, especially in the area over my fusion, and it is sensitive to pressure, so I’m careful with lumbar supports in vehicles and office chairs. Take extra care with electric fences–I’m not sure if my experience is unique, but if I get shocked, my back aches for hours. I credit that to the titanium rods, but don’t really know the actual “why”. My total recovery took 6 months in the brace, but again, could be different due to the nature of my injury. At current, my limitations are avoiding bending at the waist if possible, no running for fitness (due to compression, and having 1 leg shorter than the other), using care when doing heaving lifting, and my sitting trot really suffered. Take good care of yourself, I hope you get the relief you need from your surgery!

2 Likes

On the flip side, even with all the hardware in my back, I don’t set off metal detectors :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been having pain in the front of my thighs since Sunday. If it weren’t for that I would be pretty close to pain free except for the discomfort around the incision.
I hope I don’t have any restrictions about bending at the waist forever, that is the part I am having the most trouble adjusting to. Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences and well wishes

1 Like

@Laurierace I know you said laminectomy L3-S1, do you know which vertebra were involved in the two fusions?

That may make a difference in bending at the waist. Is PT working on flexibility in the femur/pelvis joint? That may help in conjunction with learning maybe a new way to ‘bend at the waist’.

How is your quad strength (you mentioned pain)?

L3-4 and 4-5. I am not in PT right now. They had someone come to the house for an eval and he discharged me because he said I was already able to do everything I am allowed to do now. I think my quad strength is fine.

1 Like

Sounds like you are in the right place. My fusion included S1 which did hamper me from bending but you should be in better shape. Once the bone heals, you’ll have a better idea of exactly how much bending you can do.

With your quads being good, kneeling can always be an option (and yes, I get that bending sometimes is the right thing vs kneeling).

:encouragement:

I don’t think I can kneel any time soon. That sounds painful.

As you know, pain is not a bad thing if it keeps you from doing something your body isn’t ready to do yet. I have every confidence over time you’ll get to where you want to be.

1 Like

Weird finding. I can roll over in bed for the first time in over 20 years! I used to have to straighten my arm so that my entire upper body was off the bed then flip my hips over to the other side. Good thing hubby is a deep sleeper because I tossed and turned quite a bit and it was a huge production. Now I can just lay there and roll.

6 Likes

I am about 10 weeks post op a multi level spinal fusion. It’s my second spinal fusion. The first being about 13 years ago, my L5-S1. This time was my L3-L-4 to L-5.
I had the surgery due to very sever stenosis and nerve damage and spinal compression. I am feeling great. But recovery is long and some days are different than others, I have been looking for someone who has gone through this that would be willing to compare notes. For example, last night I was sleeping and was woke by a terrible loud grinding in my back with every movement. It lasted all night, even the slightest movements made it happen. No pain at all and when I got up I felt fine.
Recovery is long. My job is riding on our large cattle ranch. So you can imagine I am off work for quite some time.

Best of luck in your continued recovery. I had my yearly physical today and I am a little over a quarter of an inch taller now. Recovery is slow but getting a little better every day. Looking forward to starting PT so I can start to use my new back.

2 Likes

@Laurierace such great news on your back and your recovery! I also “grew” after my surgery. Shows, IMO, that things like the ‘spacers’ where a good thing to do to get the vertebrae back on track, sitting and aligned as they are supposed to be.

Had my post op appointment today. He said I am where most patients are 6 months after surgery despite only being 5 weeks and one day post op. Whoooo hooooo!

2 Likes

Great news!

However, that doesn’t mean you risk your recovery the way a certain trainer did (D. Wayne Lukas) that you posted on FB about.

1 Like

Actually he cleared me for light riding as tolerated so I wouldn’t even be cheating. I have been told that once you start trying to do stuff is when the pain starts up again so we will have to see how it goes.

I have the feeling that light riding means different things to you, and D. Wayne.

Following closely.

I’m 32 and am 2 weeks post-op for laminotomy L4-L5 and L5-S1. I had two huge herniations. My back shows severe degenerative disc disease. Prior to op, doc said I’m in for a lifetime of blowing discs and we’ll keep chasing them.

Today at follow up, he advises no longer jumping (I’m a Hunter rider). He feels that given my age, severity of blowouts, and overall condition of my back, if I were to continue jumping, I will need fusion by 40 and be on disability by 50. He’s ok with “riding” - he suggested dressage but I think I need an ortho that speaks horse, surely dressage can’t have less impact?? How do I find an ortho spine that speaks horse?

@high desert ranch wife Looks like I’m headed your way if I don’t heed his warning. Possibly even if I do.

I am sure there are plenty of riders in your area who have had spine surgery, just ask around and find out who their surgeon was. Or come here and use mine. He was very adament that he was going to return me to riding and he has. Six weeks later I have ridden for 15 minutes including several minutes of trot already. It’s incredible. I started PT on Friday and he says do 3 sets of 10 of whatever exercise but instead I do 100 and only stop because I got tired of counting! It’s like my body was so used to trying to hold my back together that now that it holds itself together I am golden.

2 Likes

@Laurierace was thinking of you yesterday and wondering how you were doing.

So glad to hear the surgery has been successful and you are back to riding and other activities without the pain. I get the feeling when you realize your body doesn’t need to work so far to compensate now that your back is doing its job correctly :slight_smile:

It’s not really riding riding but it’s a start. Today I tried to ride in my jump saddle instead of my dressage saddle and that was a no go. Stood on a bucket for 20 minutes while I pulled my broodmare’s mane afterwards which may have been a little more then I could handle but no harm done.

1 Like