Lyme Diagnosis for Horse Allergic to Oxytet

My horse are reoccurring Lyme. Went the doxy route initially, reflared and vet recommended Oxytet followed by a month of Minocycline. After the first dosing of IV Oxytet by the vet, she became very agitated and the vet promptly recognized it as an allergic reaction gave her antihistamines and steroids; all was right with the world afterwards.

Has anyone else had this occur? Did you just jump to the Minocycline? Anyone heard of any alternate treatments for horses that have an allergic reaction to the IV Oxytet?

Many people skip the tetracycline and just do doxycycline or minocycline but they are both in the same drug “family” so your horse might also be allergic to them.

might be due to the carrier for the IV formulation.

I have a gelding that is allergic to IV antibiotics, including Oxytet - immediate full blow hives, and extreme puritis. Definitely a carrier or preservative issue as he has been given the same drug classes orally with no problem. We used doxy for him for lyme.

[QUOTE=Ghazzu;7775451]
might be due to the carrier for the IV formulation.[/QUOTE]

This was my first thought. Is she really allergic to the oxytet, or allergic to the ingredients which support the med. For example, many people who find ibuprofen irritating to their stomach in high doses, aren’t aware that its the ingredients in the pill form we buy over the counter which is so irritating. Taking so many of those pills to get a high thereputic does of ibuprofen, an anti inflamatory, irritates the stomach. So docs prescribe pills in 800mg, so you only take one or two to get the high doses, and a whole lot less of the supportive ingredients which might irritate stomach. Get it?

So, I was wondering how the OP knows that her horse is allergic to oxytet and not to the inactive ingredients which are bringing the oxytet to the horse’s system.

[QUOTE=Ambitious Kate;7775747]
This was my first thought. Is she really allergic to the oxytet, or allergic to the ingredients which support the med. For example, many people who find ibuprofen irritating to their stomach in high doses, aren’t aware that its the ingredients in the pill form we buy over the counter which is so irritating. Taking so many of those pills to get a high thereputic does of ibuprofen, an anti inflamatory, irritates the stomach. So docs prescribe pills in 800mg, so you only take one or two to get the high doses, and a whole lot less of the supportive ingredients which might irritate stomach. Get it?

So, I was wondering how the OP knows that her horse is allergic to oxytet and not to the inactive ingredients which are bringing the oxytet to the horse’s system.[/QUOTE]

I guess I don’t know that he’s allergic to the Oxytet and not the carrier. The vet automatically said it was Oxytet and didn’t even mention the possibility of anything else. However, I don’t think my vet would be willing to try again as she said that another dose could be fatal.

I Understand and I agree, there’s no question but not to expose him to it again. I guess I was just positing the idea because sometimes we just don’t know what we are allergic to, in the end. Carry on trying to find what works.

Oh, I wouldn’t take a chance on injectable oxytet again, either.
But I might try oral related drugs, such as minocycline or doxycycline.

[QUOTE=Ghazzu;7776642]
Oh, I wouldn’t take a chance on injectable oxytet again, either.
But I might try oral related drugs, such as minocycline or doxycycline.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the way the vet explained it to me was that minocycline and doxy are cousins of oxytet and can definitely react differently. I’ve already treated with Doxy, so I know that isn’t an issue. Minocycline is next on the list.

Saw a horse treated with Oxytet and have a reaction, but did fine on Doxy.

My horse had neurologic lyme disease. He was 3/5 neurologic at time of diagnosis. They never treated with oxytet, only minocycline. He was treated successfully for 6 months and did have a reoccurrence about a year later and we treated with minocycline for 4 months. Since then he is doing great. I was told to treat him once a month for a week with the minocycline ongoing to keep it at bay. Also was told if there are specific times when his immune system is subject to be compromised (vaccines, injections) I should treat for a week to prevent any issues. He is going great now - better than ever.
Good luck!