Unlimited access >

Maclay Regionals - have to stick to tests 1-19?

During the flat phase of the Maclay Regionals (Region 8) the judges asked for shoulder-in and haunches-in. Is this “legal” since they are not in tests 1-19? I didn’t see anything about going outside tests 1-19 in the rulebook, including the finals, but I was trying to read it on my phone while sitting in metal bleachers and watching the rest of the flat phase, so it wasn’t exactly a careful read.

I know they can use other tests in the USET.

while SI and HI are not named specifically in the rules, “individual or collective work in the trot” is.

I would say no, considering the specifics list only tests 1-19 and additionally, it’s not guaranteed that all participants will be on a horse that’s been trained to do it. To me, that’s an important part of schooling, but it’s not technically in the rules.

I think since it was asked for as part of the flat phase that it would be allowed but that when riders are called back individually to perform a test they are then limited to tests 1-19.

[QUOTE=hunterrider23;7174339]
I would say no, considering the specifics list only tests 1-19 and additionally, it’s not guaranteed that all participants will be on a horse that’s been trained to do it. To me, that’s an important part of schooling, but it’s not technically in the rules.[/QUOTE]

Isn’t this what separates the men from the boys, so to speak?

By the 3’6 national level equitation regionals/finals, I would sure hope shoulders-in and haunches-in are part of the rider’s repertoire. And most well trained horses (which they should be at Eq finals!) will understand the aids for these movements even if they haven’t been specifically “trained” for the movement. It’s not like asking them to sit and stay, it’s asking to move a body part.

If not, they sure don’t deserve to do well in the flat phase, that’s for sure.

JMO.

I’ve seen it done before in the Maclay flat. As Mac123 said, I’d be very, very surprised if those riders hadn’t practiced it before. If they can’t do that, I wouldn’t think their round would even be in contention.

I agree with Mac123 and BAC.

[QUOTE=hunterrider23;7174339]
additionally, it’s not guaranteed that all participants will be on a horse that’s been trained to do it. [/QUOTE]

Who cares if all participants aren’t on a horse that “has been trained” to do SI/HI? They are pretty standard training movements and any rider at that level should be able to at least attempt it. If they don’t do it well, too bad. It’s not like we are talking about a 2’ maiden eq.

Quite frankly, if you ask most young riders how many equitation tests there are in the rule book most do not have a clue. They have never looked them up in the book. I can tell you that from first hand experience. Just a comment about juniors and their preparation for an equitation finals. So frankly most wouldn’t know if it was in the rule book or not.

ny daughter is 10 and does the pony medals and she knows how to do a haunches in and shoulder in… I would think that is standard schooling repertoire at the Maclay level. I know it was for me when I did it.

I think if you are riding at this level of competition, you should be able to do these moves. Our girls had to do it at our LOCAL horse show association Medal test. Doing things like that are basic flatting skills. It’s like that girl last year, when they were asked to switch their tack and she forgot to tighten their girth :confused:. If you can’t do that, why are you riding at this level?

[QUOTE=Belmont;7174885]
I think if you are riding at this level of competition, you should be able to do these moves.[/QUOTE]

And it’s not like they’re even expecting dressage quality SI/HI either. The one’s most HJ riders do are not quite on par with what the dressage folks are expected to knock out.