Unlimited access >

Magnesium supplementation

Who’s supplementing their horses and why? What product do you use?

My mare has always had tight muscles especially in her back. Long story short, we have tried everything you can think of to explain it with no luck. So now trying Quiessence, thinking she may have a magnesium deficiency. Worth a shot anyway!

Wondered if anyone else had any experience with a back sore horse that was mag deficient and how long did it take to see improvements?

I’ll tell you what, she is a picky girl and she LOVES these pellets! :smiley:

I’m currently using 1.5 lbs of TC 30% which has 10,000mg of magnesium per pound. Seems to have the same effect as SmartCalm Ultra or straight Mag Ox plus it covers a lot of other bases.

I add it for hypersensitivity and over reactivity. Without it the horse in question will weave, race around his stall, lead like a kite… total spaz.

It does not have any effect whatsoever on my other two who get the same diet. So I’m not sure if he absorbs it poorly from forage or just burns through it faster.

I use Seroquine for my reactive horses, and it just seems to help them dial it back a little. I see a difference in maybe 2-3 days.

Did not have the same response to Quiessence, but there’s more stuff in Seroquine–could be the other stuff that’s responsible for the improvement in my horses.

I just started my mare on this, seems cost effective. If there’s no change I will not reorder.

https://www.bigdweb.com/product/magnesium+oxide+2+lb.do?sortby=bestSellers&refType=&from=Search&ecList=6&ecCategory=

Thanks all!

MagRestore by Performance Equine Nutrition

My horse’s chiropractor strongly believes that EVERY performance horse should be on a magnesium supplement for muscle recovery. My mare is on it for muscle recovery as well as for behavioral reasons. She’s very hot, very spooky. The magnesium isn’t certainly a miracle but it levels her.

I have just started mine on Remission (Animed Horse Care). I purchased it at Tractor Supply for $20 (120 day supply).

ETA: My vet had one of his horses on Quiessence, switched her to Remission, is happy with the supplement’s performance and its lower price. He is recommending it to his clients whose horses have EMS

[QUOTE=scrbear11;8917456]
MagRestore by Performance Equine Nutrition

My horse’s chiropractor strongly believes that EVERY performance horse should be on a magnesium supplement for muscle recovery. My mare is on it for muscle recovery as well as for behavioral reasons. She’s very hot, very spooky. The magnesium isn’t certainly a miracle but it levels her.[/QUOTE]

We just started MagRestore ourselves, had debated Remission. We shall see how things progress!

I give magnesium oxide to my gelding regularly… Ive noticed that using that along with UltraGrowth (gamma oryzonal and creatine) helps with soreness. I only use the UG when we are prepping for a level jump or a training push. I also maintain him on Doug’s Golden Paste (turmeric) and I notice in his warmups when it’s been a while without it.

I have used Mag-Restore and Remission on my touchy mini and he does much better with the Remission. He is much less touchy about being groomed and he is less nippy when on it. More focused, too. He missed about a weeks worth of it when he quit eating it and I noticed a negative change in his attitude. So now he gets it in applesauce and is back to being a decent little citizen.

I tried Quiessence. I think it did help, but the horse was in training, turnout deteriorated and she got ulcers, and then stopped training all together. So hard to say, because I don’t know when the stomach problems really started.

I just ordered Mag Restore today ironically. From all my research, it looks like a great product, and I have a couple trainer-friends who swear by it.

I had to check–Remission (the one by Ani-Med?) looks like it is geared for founder prone horses? A little off-topic but I had great results on an older horse with Ani-med’s Tri-Amino (for topline).

I use the Uckele Magnesium Oxide 58%. Tried magrestore and others, and saw no difference. This stuff is cheap and works best for my horse. The powder is very fine so it will stick to even non-sticky pelleted grain and the horse cant sift it out.

You guys are awesome, thanks for all the testimonials!

I was on MagRestore but I recently switched to SmartCalm Ultra (at half dose, since I don’t need the full 10,000). Both are very good- specifically I know a horse that had reduced laminitis symptoms due to magnesium (well, that is my guess based on the timeline)

Not a vet, but as a massage therapist I highly suggest everyone be on some sort of supplement (after consultation with vet)

[QUOTE=TrotTrotPumpkn;8917863]
I had to check–Remission (the one by Ani-Med?) looks like it is geared for founder prone horses? A little off-topic but I had great results on an older horse with Ani-med’s Tri-Amino (for topline).[/QUOTE]

But Uckele makes Tri-Amino :confused:

[QUOTE=SendenHorse;8919610]
I was on MagRestore but I recently switched to SmartCalm Ultra (at half dose, since I don’t need the full 10,000). Both are very good- specifically I know a horse that had reduced laminitis symptoms due to magnesium (well, that is my guess based on the timeline)

Not a vet, but as a massage therapist I highly suggest everyone be on some sort of supplement (after consultation with vet)[/QUOTE]

Storey’s Guide to Feeding Horses goes on about magnesium to quite a length. It cites a study showing widespread deficiency, provides an electrolyte formula including magnesium, and recommends it for horses showing IR symptoms. It also mentions finding low magnesium levels in laminitic horses.

It’s commonly supplemented in cattle to prevent grass tetany and recognized to be deficient when grass growth is highest in the spring and fall but I don’t know of any other studies involving horses.

[QUOTE=cayuse;8917845]
I have used Mag-Restore and Remission on my touchy mini and he does much better with the Remission. He is much less touchy about being groomed and he is less nippy when on it. More focused, too. He missed about a weeks worth of it when he quit eating it and I noticed a negative change in his attitude. So now he gets it in applesauce and is back to being a decent little citizen.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the applesauce tip! I will use it over the summer instead of a light drizzle of canola oil. My horse has become a calmer citizen since starting the Remission. I was getting tired of the kite flying spaz on the other end of the line. :confused:

No more back soreness so far!! :slight_smile: though in addition to the Quiessence, I had a chiropractor out who adjusted her and did acupuncture so not sure which actually helped! Time will tell I guess :wink:

I use SmartCalm Ultra for my horse. She was tight in the back and overall just twitchy. Definitely made a difference in both areas. I like the pelleted formulation and it smells yummy so no problems with consumption (not that the current horse is picky, but my previous one was and she liked the pellets too).

It’s thought that a lot of horses are mag deficient because of how we fertilize the ground we grown food/hay on. I fed it to mine because I read it helps with sugar metabolism among other things. I didn’t notice a huge behavior change, but her hooves are growing better and she’s less sore body and foot-wise. Those changes I noticed within about 48 hrs. The hoof quality took a few months.

FWIW I get mag-ox powder now off Amazon, but I was happy feeding quiessence too. (it’s easier to measure because I “pre-bag” my feed into portions as I take turns with another person feeding. I just used a scale and then marked a scoop for the MgOx powder)