Unlimited access >

Maintaining a metal-sided and metal-roofed indoor?

I did the internet search for the BO when I met her in 1999. I started as a volunteer for the therapeutic riding program. We are in southern Maine. She purchased a farm, 75-80 acres with a house and a small pole barn for hay storage. It had been farmed since 1863. She got it for $110,000. She was going to keep it as a farm, not develop it so the owners took her offer.

Looking for buildings was interesting. We had to pay attention to local zoning codes. Snow load is important.in New England so if you are looking at buildings manufactured elsewhere you may have to add that to plans. She couldnā€™t afford a Morton. She got a plan for a wood pole barn from New Hampshire, $450,000, no stalls, no anything.

She finally chose a metal building, 120x200 feet. Indoor was 80x200, which she insisted on from the start. She wanted an attached barn. It runs down the long side so itā€™s 40x200 with 20 stalls. She ordered it with the roof insulated to cut down on condensation. She had them insulate the walls in same areas also. There are skylights in the arena and barn, plus the panels under the eaves (forgot the name) for more natural light. Manufacturer is in upstate New York around Penn Yan.

I moved to a new place a year ago. When I left what needed to be done was a deep cleaning starting with the stalls. The building didnā€™t have any problems like rust. She had sliding doors installed but replaced the one into the indoor with a garage-style door which worked better. You could get a large truck or ambulance through that door. I recall it was around $210,000, building only. She paid the mortgage off in 15 years. She figured out that she needed 14 stalls to break even. A lot of us have sweat equity putting in stalls and more. My initials are in the base for the footings. The Maine State Society for the Protection of Animals has been a refuge for horses for 150 years, privately funded. They built a huge indoor with a large office and meeting spaces in the front. They looked at everything in the area and picked the same company. They use a local contractor to erect it.

1 Like

Another plus with this area is that itā€™s in a hay growing region so hay in general is very reasonable. I look at the prices some posters mention and get completely shocked. FWIW, Iā€™m currently paying $4/bale for 2 string, 40-50 lb, nice quality grass hay. I also get bulk, dry bedding for $40 a pickup truck load.

One negative I saw for the listed farm is only 3 stalls unless I missed something. Adding more would probably add significant $$.

The 3 bed, 2 bath home would be plenty big enough for me.

Interestingly, though, the video lists the price at $620 Kā€¦ which is not quite as intriguing as $375K.

Regardless, you are not helping my selfless motherly commitment to delaying the farm purchase in order to maintain my delicate-flower childrenā€™s familiar home for that two more years I promised themā€¦ you and your $4 bales of hayā€¦ :smile:

2 Likes

I went back and looked and the first video is more than a year old. I wonder why the fire sale now?

How old are your children? Iā€™d be reminding them that they are resilient. :slight_smile:

Actually though - I would want to go see it and look at it really carefully. The house is quite old, and oddly they do not show much of the barn other than the door. So, it might not be all that awesomeā€¦then again, for the priceā€¦room for improvement.

I wondered that also. My son bought a 70 some acre place within commuting distance to NYC in Pennsylvania that had little interest of the locals (been on the market for over a year) even at a fire sale price to clear an estate. Primary reason of the lack of interest was the access was by easement which he (well his attorneys) was able to convert into a right of way by making a separate purchase of the easement.

Wondered the same about the fire sale.

FYI: I would make my kid move if I was ready. Changing schools isnā€™t a big deal at all, two years is plenty of time to make friends. I do move every 3ish years for work though, so my kids are comfortable changing schools.

Mama deserves to treat herself too. It would be good for them to experience living on a farm.

1 Like