Unlimited access >

Maintaining a metal-sided and metal-roofed indoor?

I was Internet window-shopping and came across a cute property with a very respectable-looking indoor, with metal walls and a metal roof, lexan panels all around the top. It will be another couple of years before other responsibilities allow me to farm-shop, but in the interests of continuing the fantasy and The Budget, what could one expect for annual or 5-year costs/issues of maintaining an 80’ by 180’ metal structure (excluding base and footing maintenance)?

It’s in upstate NY, so snow loads and snow drifts would be a factor. But that’s probably why it’s relatively affordable! :slight_smile:

Here it is, in case anyone is looking and welcomes a small house and a big indoor, and trails, etc. (and doesn’t mind alittle weather). :slight_smile:

Well that listing sure makes a case study on the dollar return of investments in horse infrastructure. The barn, covered arena, outdoor dressage arena would cost in the area of $1 million dollars to build today around me.

The “metal” used in siding and roofing normally requires little to no maintenance for the first twenty-five or so years. How long it will last depends upon gauge of the metal and type of paint and how the paint was applied. Some metal sided buildings built in the late 1800 are still around.

2 Likes

I hope whoever buys it realizes that this asking price is about twice the current assessed value so their taxes will be going up quite a bit.

The only maintenance I’ve done to my 17yo 60X120 indoor (wood frame pole bldg with metal sides & roof, lexan eavelights & skylights) was to cut down a sapling outside one long wall that had started sending roots that buckled a small section of the bottom of that sidewall.
And Rust-Oleum near the base of the attached barn, where I assume manure/bedding had led to minor surface rust.

3 Likes

Holy moly - I need to move! Who cares about the house - I want that indoor arena. It would probably cost more than the entire purchase price to build one like that.

2 Likes

Which is the point being made up thread, and in so many other threads, that the payback on horse improvements when you sell is not there.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s a nice place!

Very nice little property. Not too far from me. If you could work remotely, it could be an amazing option. It’s probably a fairly expensive property in that general area, though, which is kind of in the middle of nowhere (especially in winter). But again - for the right buyer, a great option - especially someone who wouldn’t need a large house! E.g. if you had to commute to Albany or NYC 2-3 times a month it would be super easy.

I love the description of the pond “for horses to bathe” as if it will make them clean. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Property is so cheap in upstate NY. I seriously considered moving there when I was having so many issues finding something in NOVA.

Another place it is comparatively cheap is on the east side of Philly, in NJ. I was told the climate there is also very agreeable.

When I saw that price I mapped the town and wondered… why so cheap? Does it flood? It’s right at the end of a big lake.

Because it’s out in the boonies :slight_smile:

If you don’t mind being really far away from everything, you can get some awesome deals in upstate NY.

1 Like

it also because many are just tired of the taxes there moving out of state…then there is lack of interest in buying a horse property by most buyers.

A building built specifically for the needs of a horse (or a cow or a pig) has little interest to most buyers, where as a properly sized multiple purposed structure adds value

2 Likes

No real maintenance to speak of, but do try and keep the vegetation down on the sides. Yes, a well planted garden looks pretty, but it harbors moisture and makes for a rodent highway.

1 Like

For my metal barn, we lightly power washed it and having a company add drainage stone around the bottom of the building.

I would love to do above ground garden beds on each of the long sides of my metal building but know that it will invite rodents left and right.

That’s such a cool property.

The taxes may be high, but at the cost of property there I’ll take it. That property would be minimum of 1.2 mil around here.

But then, I’d have to live out in the middle of nowhere

Keep an eye for drainage around the barn. You don’t want your columns to rot out. Did they use nails or screws on the roof? Nails back out sooner. Around five years, and there after, your going to have to address roof leaks through the nails/screws.

1 Like

Ehh. but it’s still in the middle of nowhere. Lack of job opportunities depresses real estate value big time. The geographical range of NY is pretty extreme - from NYC to some of the most rural and bleak places you can imagine.

Cooperstown is a lovely little town, but it’s 90 minutes from Albany, 90 minutes from Binghamton, and 4 hours from NYC…not a commuting distance.

It’s about an hour from Utica, but there isn’t a lot of industry there, either.

And that’s without snow. So… add up to 30+ minutes onto those commutes in the winter.

If I could work virtually - I might consider selling my farm outside of Albany and buying that place. More land, less house, and an indoor? And in Cooperstown? I would love it. Alas…that damn job in Albany…

2 Likes

This is my biggest concern for when my SO retires. Where will I work when we move?

Ok, real estate moguls and B&B fantasists, here’s your business/retirement plan:

Buy the property. Bring in your horses and construct a 2-3 BR cottage on the property (or build your own new house and use the existing “jewel box” as your rental).

You’re 20 minutes from Cooperstown Dreams Park, which between May and September runs a series of weekly camps for baseball teams from all over the country. For some inexplicable reason, the families come too — and everyone needs a convenient, comfortable place to stay, ideally with entertainment for the nonbaseball folks. (Pony rides for bored little sisters, anyone?) Due to our good friends supply and demand, weekly rental prices are insane. And they get insaner(???) during Hall of Fame induction week, when even the Holiday Inn is charging $800/night.

When the cold weather arrives, pack up your menagerie and head south. Count your cash and laugh your head off at stupid baseball parents.

Signed,
Stupid Baseball Parent
(heading there this summer)

5 Likes

Before COVID, it could routinely take me 90 minutes to get 17 miles from my home in suburban Boston to my office just outside Boston. (At the worst of COVID, when the roads were empty and I never had to hit the brakes, it was at most 25 minutes. Ahhhhhh. Now traffic is very heavy again, but not quite as bad). The middle of nowhere doesn’t sound too bad.

If anyone in health care needs enabling, however, it does sound like there are a couple of hospitals within what I would consider commuting distance. :slight_smile: