Unlimited access >

Make bell boots less interesting to nibble and tear?

Hi all,
My new 4 year old WB needs to wear one bell boot 24/7. She toes out slightly and had pulled the shoe numerous times in the first six months I’ve owned her. The farrier recommended a bell boot.

I know all bell boots are somewhat disposable, but come on! Anything with Velcro doesn’t stand a chance - she has that off and flung at you before you leave the stall. I’ve tried gorilla taping the Velcro down, and I’m scared to ask what she did the the tape, but it disappeared in a day. I looked at the petal boots and those wouldn’t last more than an evening. I went with the Italian pull on (black) and they fit great, but one day in, and she “nibbled” a little half-moon from the top. :woman_facepalming:. Every time I see her, I now spray that darn boot with no chew, but she’s got little nibbles nearly all the way around at this point.

Anyone got any tricks? First on my list is to get her some stall toys that might satisfy this particular itch. I was also thinking of repeatedly soaking/drying the other boot from the pair in the no chew solution to build up more solution on the rubber to better discourage her. I guess if I get a month per boot I could consider myself lucky, but anyone found success (other than waiting for her to mature!)?

Soak the Velcro in Bitter Apple. Works for me!

1 Like

Had a vet insist that horse had to be in those rubber pull-on bell boots on both fronts, 24/7, for a temporary reason. Because the rubber pull-ons wouldn’t fall off. (I hate em.)

Horse, wearing the newly-purchased rubber bell boots on both front feet, entered the turnout pasture and walked just far enough away to make it impossible for me to get to him quickly from the gate, turned and faced me. Stood there, looked me right in the eyes, and methodically reached down and grabbed each rubber bell boot in his teeth, in turn, and easily ripped each one off and tossed it into the bushes. Horse then turned and walked majestically away.

That was his last time to go to turnout in bell boots. :expressionless: :smile:

7 Likes

Maybe put a bell boot on the opposite hoof, too? My older mare has a thing for symmetry. When she had a giant wrap on her LH post-surgery, she left it alone only if the RH was also wrapped.

1 Like

I am curious, what do you mean by plastic pull-on boots?

I am trying to picture how one pulls on something that is plastic.

I have used many types of bell boots, typically the gum rubber pull-on style.

It was the rubber ones. Plastic was the wrong word. Will edit.

1 Like

Spray them with Rap Last. You will have to remember to wear gloves to touch the velcro for a few days so you don’t get it on your hands.