Unlimited access >

Make me feel better: Horse Shopping on a Small Budget

I’m a JR rider who is extremely grateful for a family willing to support me and eventing, but also wanting to teach me life lessons and to work for what I want. When my awesome packer lease went home early this year, it was time for me to start looking for a new horse. I did think it was going to be slightly hard to find a horse with some jump experience in California for my budget (7k). I didn’t expect it to be this hard. Now, 7 months in, 5 vet checks later, I still haven’t found a pony yet. I’m not picky, I literally just want a sound, sane, horse that fits my leg and has some athleticism. I don’t mind green. I’m not looking for a 35k training level packer. I don’t need a horse with show experience. I’ve come to a point where I’ve been contemplating just to stop looking. Every time I find something, I get almost to the finish line and then something pops up. It’s super hard to see all my friends out there on their amazing horses living it up, and then everytime I get close to getting back out there, my hopes and dreams are dashed yet again. Just recently, I found a horse that would be perfect, drove many hours to try it, vet checked it, only to find that the owner has now ghosted me. I’m wondering if I got scammed, or someone put in a better offer. I’m just blown away that they let me spend 10% of the horses cost on a vet check, then not even bother to reply. I know this is probably many others experience with horse shopping, but I’m feeling very discouraged and looking for wisdom/encouragement/horse search stories that will make me feel better. I’ve met some great people, and am extremely grateful that so many of my fiends are keeping an eye out for me. I’ve always thought of horse shopping and being a super fun experience, but now I know it’s only fun if you have the $.

Have you got somebody like your trainer helping you locate possible prospects? They know more people and have more contacts to help locate more sale horses.

Can you look in a less expensive area? 7k is dirt cheap in some places, like Cali, but can get you something more decent in others.

1 Like

I have, unfortunately the ones she has found didn’t work out. She comes with me with every horse I try, so it’s not like I’m making uneducated decisions when I’m looking

I’m in Northern California, so it’s significantlly cheaper compared to southern. I have expanded my search to Nevada and Oregon, but unfortunately can’t go any farther away.

If you are in NorCal go to Golden Gate fields. Or contact Canter Ca. Lots of tb’s cheap. Some seem to be really nice. Also keep your eye on Bay Area Equestrian Network. They list classifieds for horses for sale.

1 Like

I can’t provide guidance on locations to search since I’m on the opposite coast, but I’d definitely recommend getting a sales contract in place prior to any PPE you do on the next horse you find that you wish to purchase.

That way, the seller indicates via the contract that the horse is yours, contingent on your decision to purchase or not, based on the results of the PPE. If they do try to back out after that point, you have a much stronger chance of recovering any money spent on PPE, deposit, etc. If your trainer is helping you search and is being paid a commission, he/she can help facilitate this part of the process as well.

Wishing you the best of luck in your horse search. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m in your area, and there are tons of nice horses here in the mid 4 figures! Sorry you dealt with some nonresponsive sellers but don’t get discouraged!

ETA - if you are working with your trainer, are they willing to handle communication with the seller? Or your parent? Just to be sure the seller takes you seriously - you need to be 18 to sign a contract such as a purchase agreement or bill of sale.

Try giving Schwarzer Sporthorses a ring. They are on FB and they have a website. Sarah is super nice.

Wow, I would be very upset to vet a horse and then not be able to buy it! I hope the vet didn’t give the seller any info of the PPE for them to use for another buyer!

I have always been a low budget buyer, as are most of my clients. It isn’t as much fun, and you have to accept some sacrifices or take some risks. One way you might be able to get a horse well under budget is to look way outside of normal parameters. Consider a saddlebred that doesn’t move well enough to do bred shows, or a paint that doesn’t want to lope (just as examples). Finding a horse that is otherwise well trained, but just hasn’t been considered for jumping, might be a good way to find something that you could have fun with, and bring along fairly quickly.

I also agree with getting a bill of sale contingent on a pre purchase exam/negative coggins before getting your next PPE.

I hope you have better luck soon!

1 Like

As a seller I would only agree to this with payment in full (check not deposited until final).

Thank you!

I am very upset. It’s only been a few days, and the horse passed the vet, so he probably could have used me to vet check him, and then be able to gather that everything looked good from the flexions and testers and then offer the horse to someone else? (he didn’t get the papers or anything) We have been communicating via Facebook messenger and he hasn’t read any of my messages the past few days or bothered to respond. I know nothing is wrong because I can see him reposting memes on Facebook (very professional

When I was looking for a field Hunter it seemed impossible. I would like to say, I did go and look at a paint ISHxArab cross who had hunted a year, but as a rent horse. Way too hot, inconsistent and priced at 25K. Passed. Saw a packer western paint who was 15.3, a complete packer for 2500$. He was a much better (and looked more sound). So freakin weird. Would have bought him but I ended up with a free lease on a friend’s horse and ended up buying that one. Just a reminder that it is not only the more expensive horse! If you are willing to train, look in other disciplines .

1 Like

If you spent about $700 for a vet check, I’m assuming very few radiographs were involved. Your vet should have had a quick turnaround time with his/her opinion.

It is always a good idea to get back to a seller ASAP to let them know what you are thinking. If you have more than one way to contact buyer, use them (e-mail, text, landline, etc.) You never know what could be going on in the background. There could be other potential buyers who have looked at the horse – some might be comfortable buying without a PPE. Some could live an hour away and be willing to bring cash that afternoon. It is hard for a seller to turn away a buyer who is ready to put cash in their hands. It happens.

Words of wisdom: Make sure you are communicating with the seller every step of the way. Example: "Ms. Seller, I just wanted to let you know that Dr. Bones, thought today’s PPE went well. He wants to take one more look at the radiographs at the clinic on a larger screen tomorrow. Dr. Bones said he would call me by noon tomorrow to share his findings. I will call you know tomorrow afternoon and let you what Dr. Bones had to say and discuss the next steps.

Words of encouragement: Keep plugging away. You’ll find the right one if you keep at it.

If she hasn’t read your messages, perhaps there is some sort of family emergency going on. If it has only been a few days, I’d sit tight. Most sellers don’t let you go through with a vet check and then back out.

I’d give it another day or two, and then ask your trainer to call and leave a voicemail. Stop sending messages.

I agree about a contract though. I’ve bought many horses, and rarely go through with a vetting without a contract. It basically just says that contingent upon a satisfactory vet check, I agree to pay the seller $X in exchange for which seller agrees to sell me the horse.

1 Like

If you paid to have the horse vetted, those medical records belong to you unless you release them to the owner. Having said that, some buyers are comfortable buying without PPE’s. You can find a few of those buyers on these threads.

Personally, if I were interested in a horse, I wouldn’t rely on FB messaging. As a seller, it is easy to miss messages, especially if you have dozens of people messaging you every day. Better for the buyer to pick up the phone and call.

2 Likes

OP knows what she wants and is looking for an easy type horse she can use immediately and not everybody can, or should, go for something right off the track. Nothing wrong with admitting you don’t have the skill set and/or time and can’t afford a full time Pro. I wish more would admit that so these horses don’t get bounced around so much.

Be patient, save the money while you search. And use a more formal type of communication with sellers.

3 Likes

He did finally get back to me a few moments ago thank god. I’ll definitely try to communicate via something other than messenger. I’ve never had a problem with it before, so if I found the horse on Facebook I usually stick to that. Thank you everyone for the encouragement :heart:

3 Likes

Check the Facebook California horse sales groups, there are a few. Good luck, horse shopping is fun until you vet check several and then it becomes beyond frustrating.

Very true. I love all the horses on CANTER, but I need something with more training. I’ve seen too many mistakes been made of people buying fresh off the track OTTBs and not being able to handle them / understand them.

1 Like

One of my FB groups is OTTB Connect. I see restarted TBs advertised there all the time for good prices. Most people on there are in the racing industry and are very knowledgeable and able to answer any and all questions. Most just want soft landings for the retired race horses.

Sounds like you are back on track on that horse?

So you don’t need to look any more.

Good luck with your new horse.