Unlimited access >

Making water buckets in stall safer

Some of the heated water buckets have a different type of attachment. Kind of a knob on the side that the handle goes around.

Example:

Could you use one of these, as just a normal bucket?

I vetrap all my buckets before I use them. My pony likes to stand with the bucket between his legs (yes, he’s quirky) and was ripping out huge chunks of tail on the handle loops.

Be sure to wrap way down over the junction between the loops on the bucket and the handle so it doesn’t slide up. I go right up against the bucket plastic, and do quite a few turns around the handle so it’s thick. It needs to be replaced every month or two.

1 Like

Vet wrap might work. The buckets with knobs looks good.
We could probably take the handle off the bucket, replace it with rope and put it in the milk crate. We can clip the rope to the bars. Plus we need something to lift it out of crate to dump.

Thanks for suggestions

I wonder if you could get one of the kinda soft muck tubs and put it inside a tire? A lot of people I know use tires for horses that chuck their feed buckets.

3 Likes

They are really nice. I just got mine, so can’t speak to longevity, but they appear to be very well made. Also, I got turquoise, so they are pretty.

Muck bucket or regular bucket with handles removed, on the floor inside of an old tire (or two stacked) so it’s not flippable. You’d have to measure the diameter of the bucket and find the right size tires.

1 Like

Wow my guy could take duct tape off of anything but never did on his water buckets!

I had to always feed him in a big round bucket because his face was just too big to get down to the bottom of a lot of buckets to eat.

I use typically use the HP round corner buckets snapped to screw eyes but they can snap to hay string if you have a place to tie the string. I think giving him more room for his face will get you farther than trying to cover the handle of the current bucket setup.

There are also some large corner feeders that stand on the ground. They usually have a trough for hay and some shallower sections for grain, salt, etc. They are pretty large but unlikely to get tipped over. No hooks of any kind. Just plastic.

Lastly, if your barn configuration might allow, you could get a plastic over the fence feeder type bucket. Also no metal pieces. It could be flipped off but not as likely as feeding in a pan on the ground.

1 Like

This guy sounds like a good candidate for turnout 24/7 if that’s an option (with a buddy).

1 Like

For the bucket handle. Just get out your angle grinder and smooth off the edges of the handle end.

2 Likes

If you end up staying with duct tape, I would suggest wrapping the area as you are doing and then get a blow dryer, turn it on low to medium heat and aim it on the tape for a few minutes so the melting adhesive will bind tighter to the tape, making the tape more difficult for your horse to remove.

Also, here’s a DIY project to replace the metal handle with a rope handle. It might just work. Found it on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oox2UHSRy9M

2 Likes

I just saw these

in a catalog. Wonder if this is a possibility.

2 Likes

I’d use vetwrap, painted with used diesel oil or Rap-last. Bet he won’t chew on it anymore after that.

Or, use a regular 5 gallon “homer” bucket, not one of the livestock ones, in a milk crate, with the handle tied down (and painted with a nasty if needed). The handles on those don’t have edges like the livestock ones do.

Have you tried a treat ball with this guy? That might occupy his time better than a regular toy, as he will get periodic rewards for playing with the “right” thing instead of tearing apart his stall.

https://www.chewy.com/shires-equestrian-products-ball-horse/dp/265674?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Shires%20Equestrian%20Products&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAiAgJWABhArEiwAmNVTB_-CBv5XmcY1d4UNvXRMzhS2P9yAxvIXRQp3SrG9ETBsU8ys5jmD-RoCwS4QAvD_BwE

You could take your buckets to a local welder to weld a blob which would close the gap at the handle (but not prevent it from working properly).

2 Likes

I wonder if JB Weld would accomplish the same thing without having to find a welder?

Hmm I wonder if a farrier could do that too…

Don’t bother with a round 5 gallon bucket if he has a moose head. Head won’t fit into that all the way either to eat out of it. But a holder that hold one of those as far as diameter would also hold an 8qt rubber bucket that you could take the handle off of.

Thank you for the additional suggestions

These buckets are great and can be hung with a chain and a couple clips
https://www.tscstores.com/BUCKET-8-QT-PLASTIC-BURG-P66497.aspx

1 Like

I use those as corner feeders with double ended snaps and eye rings in the wall.

This made me think, if all else fails–maybe an insulated bucket cover would cover the area or could be modified to do so?

Also, maybe try the scratching pads that attach to the walls; perhaps if he has a better place to scratch…

1 Like

I’m intrigued by this. Have you used it before Simkie? I’m wondering if it could be used for attaching a tie ring in a horse trailer interior (steel ring/steel lining).

OP, I’ve always used vetwrap to cover the bucket attachment thingys. It’s stayed on my buckets for years at a time. Current vetwrap was applied ~3 years ago and could probably be renewed but it still works. But I’ve never had a busy bee like your guy!