Malunion of fusion--cross post from Off Topic

I had a bunionectomy/tarsal fusion done October 21. All went well, 5.5 weeks in a cast, non-weight bearing then 5 weeks in a boot. I was given permission by doc to lose the boot and resume my normal activities (obviously not full tilt!). At week 14, an X-ray indicated my fusion was not filling in well, and I was put back in the boot for 4 weeks. Then, back to shoes and regular activity. My pain level has remained consistent-- not bad, but sore all the time, no swelling, my ankle hurts due to 16 weeks of immobility total. The surgeon ordered a CT following X-rays this monday showed my fusion still not filled in. Screws (two of them) are in place with no movement evident. Worst case? Surgery do-over, with another 12 weeks in casts, boots, etc. and off my horse and no exercise. Best case? He said we’d be super cautious, limit my movement (no riding, walking, working on my farm) and wait for the fusion to fill in completely.

I do have osteopenia, hypercalciuria, and am low in vitamin D which are all factors in malunion of fusions. I do take double doses of vitamin D and calcium and my last bone density scan showed I am not losing density (and gained in my hip! yay!).

So…any experiences to share? Advice? Treatments to encourage union of a fusion? Should I get a second opinion after the CT comes back if it indicates further surgery? I am so frustrated and upset over this. I hurt all the time, and I just want to walk!

I’m really not knowledgeable enough to give you any real advice, but I would ask my doctor about shockwave therapy. It was initially used for breaking up kidney stones and then started being used on non-union fractures in human medicine. I wonder if it could help here? It certainly wouldn’t hurt.

I asked my doctor about it when I broke my ankle many years ago and they kind of pooh-poohed me. I ended up getting shockwaved outside of the human medicine world and it alleviated some of the pain and I think I healed faster than I normally heal, but no way to really know whether that was the case or not.